Tart kiwi and sweet, spring strawberries make this kiwi-strawberry cocktail super delicious with no added sugars needed. One of my favorite things about spring – besides the joy of shorts weather – is the beautiful new fruit in the produce aisle.
Spring is a berry-ful bounty, and this cocktail was inspired by what was seasonal when I hit the grocery store. We’re just approaching the end of kiwi season, and strawberry season is just starting up.
It’s the perfect time to make a cocktail with this perfect combination of flavors. The kiwi-strawberry planets only align for a couple of short months in the spring and then again very briefly in the fall. If we’re lucky. So! When I saw beautiful organic strawberries right next to a display of fresh kiwi, I knew that a kiwi-strawberry cocktail was imminent. Fix yourself one, and head onto the porch to soak in this amazing spring weather!
You guys probably know by now that I tend to shy away from added sugars in my cocktails, when I can. The recipe below doesn’t call for any sugar, but! If the strawberries you’re getting aren’t sweet enough for your taste, you can add a bit of sugar, to taste. Muddle it in with the fruit at the beginning, and you’re good to go.
Kiwi-Strawberry Crush Cocktail
You can make this kiwi-strawberry cocktail into a mocktail by just skipping the vodka and the bitters. If you want a little bit of an orange aroma, you can garnish your mocktail version with a twist of orange peel.
Yield: 1 kiwi-strawberry cocktail
- 1 or 2 sliced strawberries
- 1 ounce good vegan vodka
- soda water
- a few dashes of vegan orange bitters
- extra fruit and a mint sprig, for garnish (optional)
- In a small glass, muddle together the strawberry, kiwi and vodka. Crush everything up well. Let this mixture sit for 10-15 minutes, so that the juices from the fruit can infuse your vodka a little bit.
- Top off the glass with ice, then with soda water. Add a few dashes of orange bitters, and garnish as you see fit. Cheers!
part of Tipsy Tuesday on Grey is the New Black