Sweet, spicy, fudgy, and decadent Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies, y'all! If you love sweet and spicy together, these are the brownies for you.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies
I actually first made these brownies for my pal, Bill's, Christmas party. I wanted to bring something chocolately, but I didn't want it to be a standard dessert.
But y'all. I could not find a recipe for Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies anywhere! It was a travesty, really, so I rolled the dice on creating a recipe the day of the party. And I WON!
This recipes is sort of a mashup of the Ultimate Brownies from Vegan Baking and Kitchen Geisha's Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies (which are not vegan). The result was a fudgy pan of brownies with a nice crust and a spicy kick! Here is the recipe.
What is Mexican Hot Chocolate?
If you've never had Mexican hot chocolate before, it is a delight! It's made with Mexican chocolate, which is chocolate spiced with cinnamon. Mexican chocolate can also include other spices, like nutmeg, chile pepper, and vanilla.
In this recipe, I am going all-in with the spices, because I wanted a super deep flavor. Enjoy it!
Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 3/4 cups white wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper - depending on how spicy you want your brownies
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil - or other neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F, and line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the water and flax meal, and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl add the cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate, spices and salt. Add the soy milk or nog and mix well.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, flax meal mixture into the chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the flour, then knead it by hand until it’s well combined.
- Press the batter to the baking dish, and bake for 35 minutes. Cool for 1 hour before popping the brownies out of the pan, slicing, and serving.