Sweet-and-savory bacon-wrapped tofu makes fun appetizer or festive party finger food!
With holiday party time coming up, I wanted to create a decadent, finger food recipe that's also easy to make. This bacon-wrapped tofu fit the bill. Each piece is marinated in a sweet-spicy ginger-maple sauce, wrapped in smoky strips of Sweet Earth Bacon, and then baked to perfection.
Pressing the tofu for these bacon-wrapped tofu bites is critical, because the more water you get out, the more of the ginger-maple-sesame marinade your little tofu cubes will drink in.
And who doesn't want to reach critical ginger-maple-sesame mass?
To make bacon-wrapped tofu bites, you want to marinate the tofu for as long as possible. One hour is the bare minimum, but if you can marinate overnight, all the better!
Once the tofu is marinated and baked, just wrap in vegan bacon, secure with a toothpick, brush with leftover marinade, and bake. Boom!
Ginger Maple Bacon-Wrapped Tofu Bites
For the Ginger Maple Marinade
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger - chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
For the Tofu Bites
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cut into 1" cubes (I ended up with 32 cubes.)
- 16 slices vegan bacon - (Tempeh bacon will NOT work – you need something flexible, like Sweet Earth bacon or your favorite seitan bacon.)
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together.
- Arrange the tofu in an 8×8" glass baking pan, and pour the marinade over it. Gently toss to coat all sides. Marinate for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400F, and pull the pan out of the refrigerator (if you marinated overnight). Make sure the pan is room temperature before you pop it into the oven in the next step. No exploding pans, please!
- Stir the tofu one more time, then stick the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Set the tofu aside to cool, and slice your pieces of bacon in half, lengthwise, so each piece of bacon turns into two skinnier pieces of bacon.
- When the tofu is cool enough to handle, wrap each cube in one of those half slices of vegan bacon and secure each one with a wooden (not plastic!) toothpick. Brush the bacon and any exposed tofu with the leftover marinade from the baking pan.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Arrange your bacon-wrapped tofu on a greased cookie sheet or one lined with a Silpat. Bake for 15 minutes, then arrange on a tray to serve.