It got positively freezing here in Atlanta last week, and that calls for soup! We received some beautiful sweet potatoes from our CSA, so I whipped up a hearty sweet potato soup to warm us up from the inside out.
Of course, I wanted to use my new immersion blender, so this is a blended soup. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can mash the potatoes up with a potato masher or transfer the soup to a regular blender to puree.
Gingered Coconut-Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame or walnut oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 13.5oz can of coconut milk
- Cashews, for garnish
- Saute the onions in the oil until they start to brown, then add the potatoes, water, miso, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring well to dissolve the miso, then cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add the coconut oil, then either transfer the soup to a blender or use your immersion blender to puree.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes, and serve topped with a handful of cashews.