I love a white wine spritzer for a fancy party, and this one combines two of my favorite flavors.
Normally I'm a red wine gal, but I do like a white wine spritzer from time to time. Since you're mixing your wine with juice and soda water, you end up with less booze per cup. That means no one gets too sloppy, but we all get to enjoy a Special Drink.
Related: Cranberry Mulled Wine, Sparkling Grapefruit Margarita
A basic white wine spritzer is just wine plus soda water, and you can really take it in any direction from there.
Grapefruit is one of the few fruit juices that I like, and I immediately had visions of vibrant, red cranberries floating in a pretty pink glassful of bubbles.
I like to include whole fruit in my cocktails whenever I can, so the base for this white wine spritzer uses whole cranberries. Puree them up in the grapefruit juice, strain, and mix with wine and then soda water.
Float a few cranberries and a rosemary sprig in the glass, and you have a super yummy holiday cocktail.
If you read my blog regularly, you now that I don't like to use a lot of added sugars in my cocktails. This white wine spritzer has a puckery tartness from the cranberries. The only added sugar is what's naturally in the grapefruit juice, so if you like things sweet, you might consider adding some sugar to the blender when you puree. Just blend, add, and taste to get a sweeter white wine spritzer.
I set out this cocktail at our Christmas party this year, and it was a hit! I just made a little sign with mixing directions along with the mix and a bottle of soda water, so folks could mix their own.
Grapefruit-Cranberry White Wine Spritzer
- 1 liter unsweetened grapefruit juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries - I used frozen., plus extra for garnish
- 1 750 mL bottle vegan white wine
- soda water
- sprigs of fresh rosemary - for garnish, optional
- Combine the juice and cranberries in a blender, and puree until things are as smooth as possible. Strain into a pitcher, and add your whole bottle of wine. If your pitcher isn't big enough, just eyeball half of each into two pitchers. My mixture fit perfectly into the giant 2 quart mason jar that I had in my pantry.
- To make one spritzer: Fill a tall glass halfway with ice. Then add 1 cup of your wine mixture (the glass will be about 2/3 full now). Top off with soda water, and garnish with the cranberries and rosemary.