You can make this mulberry muffin recipe with blueberries or blackberries if you can't find mulberries where you are.
We've had a mystery tree out back since we moved into the house, and I'm not sure why it took me four years before it dawned on me that the berries it was producing might be edible!
Like my friend Leuwam said, I didn't want to "end up like Ralph Wiggum," so I did a little research. Leuwam emailed a few photos of the berries and the tree to her botanist friend, and I contacted my "local cooperative extension agent," which my friend Karen suggested. If you're in the Atlanta area, you can hit up the one at UGA. He was super duper helpful!
Both these folks confirmed that the tree out back was producing totally edible mulberries! Hurrah!
The tree is really tall, so rather than drag out the tall ladder, I harvested the low-hanging fruit and gathered the ones that had fallen into the yard that the ants hadn't gotten to yet. The tree produces like crazy, so I'm sure there are more mulberry recipes in my future!
On Sunday, I made a batch of mulberry muffins, and they came out great. Hurrah! Breakfasts for the week are covered.
Vegan Mulberry Muffin Recipe
This recipe is adapted from Madhuram's Eggless Cooking.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest from 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup soy milk (almond would work well, too)
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup whole muberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 and either line your muffin tin with paper liners or grease very well.
- In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Mix well, and set this aside while you slice the stems off of all of your mulberries.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until just combined. Then, gently fold in the berries.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3rds full, and bake 20-22 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.