Curried kale on whole grain bread might sound a little bit strange, but this sandwich is quick, easy, and surprisingly satisfying!
The other night I got home late, tired, and starved. There was basically nothing in the house. Vegetable Husband was coming that evening, but I wanted food RIGHT THEN. I scoured the fridge, but we were out of snacky foods and most of my go-to ingredients. What I did have was a loaf of bread, a jar of Vegenaise, and a bunch of kale. A curried kale sandwich might sound kind of weird, but it totally hit the spot.
Curried Kale Sandwich
- handful of kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon each of: cumin, curry powder, and garam masala (if you can't find garam masala, you're cool to just leave it out)
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- Vegenaise, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium high.
- Toss the kale into the pan along with the spices.
- Meanwhile, toss your bread in the toaster.
- Once the kale is bright green and maybe a little singed on the edges, slather your bread with the Vegenaise, layer on the kale, and slice your sandwich on the diagonal.*
That's it! So, what do you think? Does this sound delicious or gross? I've made this a few times since last Wednesday, and I sort of think I love it!
*Fact: sandwiches sliced on the diagonal taste better than any other sandwich.