Easy, delicious Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Garlic Almond "Croutons" can be a side dish or a meal. It just depends on how much you dish into your bowl.
I have been so salad-oriented lately, which is very unlike me! For whatever reason, I'm just craving salad after salad after salad. The problem with eating this way is that not all salads are quite as filling as I need them to be. Between the rich dressing, the garlic almonds, and the sprinkle of noochy crumbles, though, Kale Caesar Salad can truly stand alone as a hearty, filling meal.
Making Your Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
I modeled this Kale Caesar Salad after the one at Dulce Vegan, my favorite lunch spot in all of Atlanta. Their Kale Caesar uses roasted chickpeas as the "croutons". I thought it would be fun to use almonds for my home-spun version.
The recipe below also calls for my homemade Vegan Caesar dressing. If you want to cheat and use store-bought vegan Caesar to save some kitchen time, I will not judge you.
There are quite a few elements in this recipe, but with some kitchen strategy, you can make everything in less than half an hour.
Getting this meal on the table in 26 minutes is all about how you approach it. This is what I recommend:
- Get those Garlicky Air Fryer Roasted Almonds cooking first. You can also make these a day or two ahead.
- Make the salad dressing.
- While the almonds cook and cool, massage the kale and toss it with the dressing. Stick this into the fridge along with any extra dressing.
- When the kale is done, make the almond-nutritional yeast mixture.
- Put it all together, and dive in!
How to Store It
If you think there will be leftovers, I recommend keeping the elements separate.
The kale is fine with dressing on it, but if there's a lot of extra dressing, the lettuce will get soggy. Keep the extra dressing separate to store. The dressing will keep for four to five days in the fridge.
You can store the Garlic Almonds and the Almond-Nutritional Yeast mixture in airtight jars for up to a week.
Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Garlic Almond "Croutons"
- 2 ½ cups chopped kale - ribs removed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing - (plus extra, for drizzling)
- ¼ cup almonds - (You can substitute pumpkin seeds, if you want to.)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup Garlicky Air Fryer Roasted Almonds - (Follow oven directions, if you don't have an air fryer.)
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, lemon juice, and sea salt. Use clean hands to massage the kale until it wilts. Toss in the ½ cup of Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing to coat completely.
- In your blender or food processor, combine the ¼ cup almonds, nutritional yeast, and salt. Pulse until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Toss the kale with the romaine lettuce, then top with a little bit of extra dressing, sprinkle on a tablespoon or two of the almond-nutritional yeast mixture, and top with a couple of tablespoons of the Garlicky Air Fryer Roasted Almonds. Serve the extra dressing on the side.