Hearty Kale and Bean Soup is a perfect one-pot meal with some garlic bread on the side for dipping.
Do you ever just feel like you need something super nourishing in your belly? I'm all for vegan junk food, but sometimes I need to balance out the salty, greasy stuff with something veggie-packed.
This flavorful soup is just that! It starts with a base of caramelized onions and piles on greens and beans for a healthy-yet-filling meal that's perfect for a chilly fall or winter evening.
Kale and Bean Soup
It was very important to me that this dish be a one-pot meal. Those nights that I want a super healthy meal also tend to be the night where I don't feel like doing a ton of dishes later.
You can cook this dish in a soup pot or a Dutch oven. Either way, it all happens in the one pan.
Start by caramelizing your onion with some minced garlic over medium-low heat. Caramelizing onions isn't difficult, but it does take some time. You can use the onion cooking time to prep your other ingredients. Just remember to peek at the pan and give things the occasional stir.
When the onions are soft and golden-brown, add carrots, celery, and chopped vegan sausage to the pot. You can use 1/2 cup of mushrooms in place of the sausage, if vegan meat isn't your thing, but I really like the richness that the sausage brings to the dish.
Time-Saving Tip: Don't shred your carrots by hand! Use bagged, pre-shredded carrots instead. You can find them alongside the baby carrots at most grocery stores.
Now, add that chopped kale, and give it a quick saute, just until it starts to turn bright green. I used to remove the ribs from the kale for this recipe, but there's really no need. They get nice and tender after you simmer them.
Pour on your vegetable broth, a splash of vegan beer, some herbs, and your cooked white beans. Let your soup simmer for 10 minutes, until the beans are tender.
That's it! Ready to make some soup, y'all? Let's cook!
One-Pot Kale and Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion - you want approx. 1/8" thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup minced celery
- 1 vegan sausage - chopped - Choose your favorite!
- 4 cup chopped kale
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan lager - or another 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 15 ounce can of white beans - drained and rinsed (or 1 3/4 cups cooked white beans)
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil on medium-low and add the onions and garlic. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes, until the onions caramelize. If they're browning too quickly, just bump the heat down a bit.
- Add the carrot, celery, and sausage to the pot, up the heat to medium, and cook for 5-7 more minutes, until the veggies soften and the sausage starts to brown.
- Add the kale, stirring constantly for just a few minutes, until it all turns bright green.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.