Here's my secret to making Vegan Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes for someone who super loves mashed potatoes.
We are a mashed potato family. So when I decided to make Vegan Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes, I knew that I still wanted them to have the heartiness you expect from mashed potatoes. I also knew that they needed to be easy, because I want all of the food I make to be easy.
More Cauliflower Goodness: Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower, Air Fryer Cauliflower Fried Rice
How to Make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes that Taste Good
The trick to making cauliflower mashed potatoes that taste like mashed potatoes is to...use some potatoes.
The potatoes give this recipe the hearty starchiness that you expect from mashed potatoes while still sneaking in some cruciferous veggie power.
Making these is almost as simple as making conventional mashed potatoes. In fact, they start the same way: mash up some cooked potato cubes with vegan butter until the butter melts.
It's this next step where we start to mix things up.
Basically, you're making a thick cauliflower cream to mash into your potatoes. Combine cooked cauliflower florets in your blender with soy or oat milk, garlic powder, and onion powder, and puree. Then pour that cream into the bowl of potatoes.
Now, it's serious mashing time. Get a big fork and mash and whip until the cauliflower mixture and the potatoes are well combined. That's it!
How to Serve, Store, and Reheat Them
You can use these anywhere that you'd use conventional mashed potatoes. They make a great side dish on their own or smothered in my 5-Minute Miso Gravy.
I've also used them to top a chili pie and served them alongside baked tofu and gingery sauteed greens. They're also a great topping for a vegan shepherd's pie!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will keep for around three days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze these in a freezer safe container.
To reheat, just pop them into the microwave until they're heated through. I have not experimented with warming these up any other way. If you have, feel free to drop a comment, so other folks can learn from your experience!
Vegan Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- 2 cups cubed yellow or red potatoes - 1" pieces, cooked (Do not use Russet potatoes for this recipe. You want thin-skinned potatoes, because we are not peeling them.)
- ¼ cup vegan butter - or olive oil
- 1 12 ounce bag of frozen cauliflower - cooked according to package directions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup soy or oat milk - plus more, as needed
- salt and black pepper - to taste
- In a large bowl, use a fork or a potato masher to mash the hot potatoes with the vegan butter until the butter is melted. Don't worry about getting them super smooth. Some lumps are a-OK.
- Add the cauliflower, garlic and onion powder, and the ¼ cup soy milk to your blender, and puree until completely smooth.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture into the bowl with the potatoes, and mix and mash until they're totally combined, adding more soy milk, as needed by the tablespoon, to get a creamy mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Big hit tonight! Real comfort food. Went well with The “meat”loaf. I’d for sure make it all again!
Awesome! Thank you so much for coming back to review and comment, Jessica!
I love this recipe!!