A mango mulberry smoothie bowl takes advantage of seasonal goodness. Plus, it has chocolate chips on top. And coconut!
Ever since making that Cherry Orange smoothie bowl a while back, I've had smoothie bowls on the brain. I love that they combine the ease of a smoothie with the satisfaction of a meal from a bowl. And that you can add chocolate. They really hit all of the key notes, is what I'm saying.
Lately, my family has been mulberry crazy. We are harvesting something like a pint a day, on average, and while my kid could eat all of them himself, I like playing with mulberries in the kitchen. This Mango Mulberry Smoothie Bowl felt like the perfect application!
We are so into mulberries lately, that when I was working up pitches for my editors at Care2, I suggested a piece on how to forage for mulberries and how to eat them. They said yes! That piece came out a few days ago, and you can read all about foraging for mulberries here!
The red mulberries that grow around here are actually kind of bland on their own, and I've found that they really shine in preserves and baked goods. My mulberry shrub recipe is such a good example of how a little sugar brings out their flavor and makes them super special. This mulberry smoothie has the same effect, but without so much added sugar.
If fresh, red mulberries aren't available where you are, you can make this mulberry smoothie bowl into a blackberry smoothie bowl. Just substitute an equal amount of blackberries, and you're good to go. You can also use frozen mulberries instead of fresh, if you can get your hands on those. Red, white, or black mulberries would all work in this recipe.
Mango Mulberry Smoothie Bowl
Yield: 1 large or 2 small mulberry smoothie bowls
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen mulberries
- 1 cup frozen mango pieces
- 1/4 Haas avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 5 standard ice cubes (about 1/2 cup ice)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- extra mulberries and mango, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Combine everything except the coconut, chocolate chips, extra fruit, and chia seeds in your blender. Puree until smooth, then pour into a bowl.
- Top with the coconut flakes, chocolate chips, extra fruit, and chia seeds. Serve immediately.