Have you guys ever tried the mock chicken salad at Whole Foods? Holy moly, that stuff is good! It's also crazily expensive. Instead of dropping a ton of cash there, you can whip up your own for a bit less, and you can control exactly what goes in there. My recipe is below, but you can mix up this recipe up all sorts of fun ways!
I made my mock chicken salad with almonds and cranberries, but if sweet's not your thing, you can use celery, carrots, or other diced veggies instead. You can also try using different herbs. I went with dill, because we got a bunch in our CSA basket, but parsley or basil might be nice in this, too. See what you have on hand, and don't be afraid to experiment!
Mock Chicken Salad with Almonds and Cranberries
- 1 pound chicken style seitan, drained very well and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 small bunch fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup sweet onion, minced
- 1 handful dried cranberries
- 1 handful sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons Vegenaise
- Put the seitan in a colander to drain while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, stirring well to combine.
- Fold in the seitan.
You can use this mock chicken salad as a sandwich filling, serve it on a bed of greens, or set it out with pita chips for dipping. Really, the possibilities are endless!