Gingery, cinnamon-y mulled white wine has the cozy flavors of an apple pie. It's a perfect treat for a holiday party or any chilly evening that you're expecting company.
When you think mulled wine, you probably imagine scooping up a warm ladleful of red wine -- like this cranberry mulled red wine recipe -- but you can make mulled white wine, too!
Apple Pie Mulled White Wine
Mulled white wine is a little bit lighter in taste, and the apple and spices really shine in this pie-inspired recipe.
Start by slicing a red apple and a one-inch piece of ginger. That's the only real prep work involved in this recipe!
Add the apple and ginger pieces to a saucepan with white wine, orange liqueur, apple juice, vanilla extract, a cinnamon stick, and some whole cloves.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn off the heat. You are basically steeping this wine as if it were tea at this point.
After it's done steeping, fish out the ginger, cinnamon stick, and cloves from the pot, then reheat and serve.
Truly, that's it. The whole thing!
Finding Vegan Wine and Liqueur
The real trick with this recipe is choosing vegan wine and orange liqueur. Unfortunately, not all alcohol is vegan. Companies often use gelatin, isinglass (from fish), and other animal ingredients in the fining process.
Luckily, finding vegan booze isn't that difficult with Barnivore at your side! Barnivore has a huge database of wine, beer, and liquor and uses a traffic light system to denote whether different ones are vegan.
Just in case you'd rather not stand in the wine aisle with your phone doing searches, though, here are some common white wine brands that are vegan (as of this writing).
- Charles Shaw White Wine (the Trader Joe's brand)
- Fetzer White Wine
- Beringer White Wine (their reds are not vegan)
- Bogle White Wine (their reds are not vegan)
- Varner Foxglove
- Kendall-Jackson White Wines (their reds are not vegan)
- Wine Cube
- Georges Duboeuf
- Orleans Hill
There are a few different types of orange liqueur, and really you can use whatever sort you like in this recipe. If you want to super nerd out about the different kinds of orange liqueurs out there, I recommend this article from Serious Eats.
And here are some vegan orange liqueurs, to save you some time at the liquor store:
Got that vegan booze ready to go? Let's mull some white wine, y'all!
Apple Pie Mulled White Wine
- 1 750 mL bottle of vegan white wine
- 4 ounces (½ cup) vegan orange liqueur - like Triple Sec
- 1 ½ cups apple juice
- 1" piece thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1 medium red apple - sliced into thin rounds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon whole cloves - about 5-7 cloves
- Combine all of your ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then remove it from the heat. Let the wine steep for 15-20 minutes, then pull out the cinnamon stick, cloves, and as many ginger pieces as you can find in there.
- Reheat on the stove or in a crock pot to serve. Ladle your mulled white wine into mugs to serve.
- You can make this recipe in advance, if you like! If you're making it ahead, complete step one, then transfer the wine to a glass pitcher to store it. When you're ready to serve, pour the wine into a pan or crock pot, and proceed with step 2.