A tart, vibrant Pomegranate Shandy is super refreshing. This simple beer cocktail for two couldn’t be easier to make.
Y’all, I love a shandy! I first learned about this beer cocktail back in college, when my sister called to tell me that lager and lemonade was a complete delight to drink. I’ve been mixing up shandies for years, and this Pomegranate Shandy is my latest beer remix.
A traditional shandy combines beer (usually a lager) with something non-alcoholic. Lemonade, ginger ale, and orange juice are common shandy ingredients.
This recipe builds on that idea. It starts with pomegranate juice, then adds a splash of liqueur and a healthy squeeze of lime.
Making Your Pomegranate Shandy
You only need a few ingredients to mix up a pair of pomegranate shandies:
- a bottle or can of your favorite vegan lager
- pomegranate liqueur
- pomegranate juice (see below)
- soda water
If you can pour and stir, you can make this simple-yet-fancy beer cocktail in a flash!
One 12-ounce beer yields two shandies, which makes this cocktail perfect for any time you’re fixing a special drink for two.
To make this recipe, you just combine the juices and pomegranate liqueur in a glass, fill with ice, then top off with your beer.
About the Pomegranate Liqueur
If you can’t find (or just don’t want to buy) the pomegranate liqueur, don’t sweat it! I think it adds a nice touch of sweetness and punch to the mix, but you can definitely leave it out.
In the directions below, you’ll see that you can just substitute an extra tablespoon of pomegranate juice in each glass.
PLEASE READ: Pouring the Beer
When you add the beer, you do want to use a little bit of finesse. Don’t pour the beer straight into the glass, because that’s a recipe for lots of foam.
Instead, tilt the glass at an angle, then pour the beer down the side, so it slides in slowly. This will minimize foam. If you do start getting excess foam, just take a break from pouring, stir gently, and give it a moment to settle before you continue your slow-and-steady pour.
- 1 fresh lime – cut in half (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 ounce pomegranate liqueur – optional – you can use another two tablespoons of juice instead
- 1 12 ounce can vegan lager
- soda water
- Juice half of a lime into each pint glass, dropping the lime half into the glass after juicing. Pour 1/4 cup pomegranate juice and 1/2 ounce of pomegranate liqueur into each glass.
- Divide the beer between your glasses, pouring slowly to prevent too much foam, then top each glass off with ice and then soda water. Garnish with a lime wedge.