Not buttered rum may not have any dairy in it, but it’s still a strong, sweet, rich drink that’s perfect on a chilly fall or winter evening.
The pear puree is basically the same recipe that I used to make my roasted apple Tom Collins, and it’s so lovely combined with light rum in a warm mug.
The roasted pear puree is also delicious eaten with a spoon or as a dessert sauce. If you’re not planning to use it all in a cocktail just leave out the rum. You can spoon it over ice cream or stir it into coconut yogurt. If you do leave the rum out of the puree, you can just add it to your mug when you mix in the water.
Unlike a lot of my cocktails, this recipe is pretty heavy on the sugar. Maple syrup abounds, and I’m not sorry!
Roasted Pear Not Buttered Rum
Yield: 6-8 cocktails, depending on the size of your mug
- 4 small pears, cored, peeled, and diced into 1″ pieces
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance.)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon
- 6 ounces of light rum (3/4 cup)
- 2 cups boiling water
- cinnamon stick (for garnish)
- To make the roasted pear puree: Preheat the oven to 375F. While the oven preheats, stick an 8″x8″ baking pan in there with the margarine in it. When the oven is ready, toss the pears with the melted margarine, the maple syrup, and the cinnamon. Spread them onto a greased baking sheet and let them bake for 30 minutes (until they are nice and tender), stirring every 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool for a bit. Once they cool, transfer the pears and any liquid from the pan to your blender. Add the lemon juice and rum, and puree until smooth.
- You can make this puree up to a day ahead. If you’re not going to serve your not buttered rum now, transfer the puree to a mason jar, and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it. You will want the jar to come to room temperature and to give it a good shake before you divide the puree, since it will separate in the fridge.
- Fill up each mug 2/3 of the way with your room temperature pear puree, and top off with boiling water. Stir to combine. Garnish with your cinnamon sticks.