Sheet Pan Squash Tacos - Roasted butternut squash tacos with tangy tomatillos are an easy, hands-off weeknight meal. It's ready in about 30 minutes!
Roasted Butternut Squash Tacos
Y'all, I am so excited to share this recipe for roasted butternut squash tacos from my buddy, Jackie Sobon's, newest book: Vegan Yack Attack on the Go!. You may know Jackie from her blog, Vegan Yack Attack, or from the Spicy Sushi Bowl recipe that I shared from her first cookbook, Vegan Bowl Attack.
What I love about this sheet pan recipe is that it is super quick, and you barely have to be there while it's cooking.
To make these tacos, you just toss together the butternut squash with beans, veggies, a touch of oil, and plenty of spices. The squash mixture roasts quickly on the pan alongside the tomatillos.
While the veggies cook, you can prep your tortillas and toppings, then put it all together when the veggies come out of the oven.
These tacos are such a nice mix of sweet roasted squash and onions, earthy mushrooms, tangy tomatillos, spicy jalapeños, and a little bit of fresh cabbage crunch. They're going to be a new suppertime fave for SURE.
About VYA on the Go!
Vegan Yack Attack on the Go! is all about quick, easy meals, so you know I was excited to get my hands on this book. These tacos are just one of the amazing recipes in the book.
Want to see more from VYA on the Go? I've rounded up some reviews that feature other recipes from the book. If you like these butternut squash tacos, make sure you also check out:
- Curry Cauliflower Grill Packets at Veggies Save the Day
- Summer Bean Soup at Veggie Inspired
- Creamy Berry-Full Polenta at Care2
- Grill & Chill Salad at Dianne's Vegan Kitchen
- Lentil Balls with Zesty Lemon Rice at Cadry's Kitchen
- Easy Vanilla Chip Buckwheat Bars at Spabettie
- Portobello Fajita Salad at The Nut-Free Vegan
- Asparagus Omelet in a Bag at Bake and Destroy
Sheet Pan Butternut Squash Tacos
- 2 cups diced and peeled butternut squash - see note
- 2 cups chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1 15-ounce can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt - or more, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomatillos - with husks removed
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 jalapeño - thinly sliced
- 8 small lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Place the butternut squash, mushrooms, black beans, and yellow onions in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat, then add the chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, paprika, and cayenne pepper, and toss again. Spread the mixture out on the baking sheet, leaving some space for the tomatillos.
- Place the tomatillos on the remainder of the baking sheet, then place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender. Sprinkle with more salt to taste, if desired.
- Warm the tortillas in either the microwave or on a hot pan until soft and pliable. Fill each one with some butternut– black bean mixture, then top with tomatillos, shredded cabbage, and jalapeño slices. Serve warm, accompanied by lime wedges.
I am loving Jackie's book. I haven't gotten around to making these tacos yet, but they look so good! Definitely putting them on the menu soon!
I haven't seen butternut squash in the store yet, but as soon as I do, I'm making these tacos!