These spinach and onion tacos are a real crowd-pleaser, and no one needs to know how easy they were to make.
Today’s Vegan MoFo topic is Tacos vs. Burritos: Where Do You Stand on this Important Issue? I’m sure you’ve already figured out my stance! Tacos all the way, you guys. I actually am not a big fan of burritos, unless you are talking about a burrito bowl. But I could eat tacos for days!
We’ve been having tacos once a week lately. They’re such an easy meal and something everyone in our house can get behind. I like them as a weeknight meal especially, because they are also super duper quick. These spinach and onion tacos come together in less than 20 minutes, even when you factor in making the salsa from scratch.
Here is the secret to my easy tacos: use pre-made refried beans. Heresy, I know. But guys. They are done before you even start cooking. If you want to make your own refried beans, try one of these from Healthy Slow Cooking.
The other key to making this meal a quick one is to multitask. Here’s what you do:
- Get all of your ingredients out before you start cooking.
- Open the can of beans, and spoon them into a microwave-safe dish.
- Chop the onion for the sauteed spinach and for the salsa at the same time.
- Start cooking the onions for the spinach. While that’s happening, chop up the salsa ingredients and toss them together. If you’re a fast chopper, you can do this before it’s time to add the spinach.
- Add the spinach to the pan.
- Heat the beans in the microwave, and slice your avocado.
- Your spinach should be done now, and you’re ready to assemble your tacos!
See how you kind of weave the prep together? There’s less downtime, but it makes the cooking time go by much faster.
If that kind of cooking stresses you right out, you can make the pineapple salsa the night before. It keeps for a couple of days in the fridge, and I actually think it tastes even better the next day.
Either way, these spinach and onion tacos are a real crowd-pleaser, and no one needs to know how easy they were to make.
Spinach and Onion Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Yield: 4 servings of 2 tacos each
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 15 ounce can refried beans (Check the ingredients to make sure they don’t have lard in them.)
- 1 batch Sauteed Spinach and Onions (recipe below)
- 1 batch Pineapple Salsa (recipe below)
- 1 Haas avocado, chopped
- Heat the beans in the microwave, then divide them between the 8 tortillas.
- Top the beans with the sauteed spinach, salsa, and avocado.
Sauteed Spinach and Onions
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil to medium-high in a large frying pan, and add the onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and begins to brown ever so slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, and cook, stirring, until the spinach softens and turns bright green.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup chopped pineapple (Fresh or canned is fine.)
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons seeded and minced jalapeno
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- Toss everything together right in your serving dish. You can prepare this up to two days ahead.