This recipe is sponsored by EZ Tofu Press. All opinions are 100% my own.
A galette can be a lot of work, but this shortcut Tofu and Vegetable Galette uses pre-made puff pastry dough to turn this fancy meal into a snap to make. It's quick and easy enough for a busy weeknight but fancy enough for a special occasion.
The cool thing about using puff pastry dough to make a vegetable galette is that you don't have to do any folding. It's almost like making a pizza. Just spread everything out on the dough, and leave yourself a border. The dough will puff up around the edges, giving you that galette-style border with a lot less work.
I'm keeping the filling for this recipe simple: tofu marinated in lemon and sage sauteed with Brussels sprouts and onions, then tossed with sliced artichoke hearts. But just because this recipe is simple doesn't mean it isn't packed with flavor.
The marinade for the tofu really brings the flavor to the table. You use it to both marinate the tofu and saute the tofu and vegetables. And you want your tofu to drink in as much marinade as possible. That means that pressing that tofu thoroughly is key. As I'm sure you know by now, I press my tofu with my EZ Tofu Press.
About the EZ Tofu Press
The two plates and food-grade stainless steel bolts on the EZ Tofu Press get the water out of your tofu evenly and quickly in about 10 minutes. When you're pressing, it's a good idea to tighten a couple of turns every few minutes to get maximum amount of water out of your tofu.
Getting the moisture out makes room for the tofu to soak in your lemon-sage marinade, and it leaves you with firmer tofu. I've measured many times, and I'm able to get about ½ cup of water out of one block of tofu with my EZ Tofu Press.
Making Your Tofu and Vegetable Galette
Making this vegetable galette couldn't be easier. Once you've pressed and marinated your tofu, just saute for a few minutes with the Brussels sprouts and onions, then toss in the artichoke hearts.
When the tofu and vegetables are done cooking, roll out your pastry dough, and spread the tofu and vegetables evenly over the galette, leaving a little border around the edge, so the dough has space to puff up. Bake for 20 minutes, and you're ready to serve.
Check out the video, then get the written Tofu and Vegetable Galette recipe below!
Tofu and Vegetable Galette
For the Vegetable Galette
- 2 sheets puff pastry dough - thawed
For the Lemon-Sage Marinade
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the Sauteed Tofu and Vegetables
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cut into ½" cubes
- 1 cup brussels sprouts - sliced into ⅛" thick pieces
- ¼ cup onion - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 canned artichoke hearts - drained and sliced into quarters
Prepare the Puff Pastry Dough
- Unfold out your first sheet of puff pastry, and roll it out until it's about ⅛" thick. Slice the dough into 4 equal-sized pieces, then use a butter knife or pizza cutter to cut each of the dough pieces into circles. Repeat with the other puff pastry sheet, so you'll have 8 thin dough circles total.
- Transfer the dough circles onto 2 large cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, making sure that they are not touching each other. Set aside.
Make the Lemon-Sage Marinade
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in your blender, and puree until smooth.
Make the Sauteed Tofu and Vegetables
- Toss the tofu and marinade together in a shallow dish. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Transfer tofu and 2 tablespoons of the marinade to a large frying pan on medium-high heat
- Add the onions, Brussels sprouts, and salt, and cook, stirring, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and the onions turn translucent, about 7-10 minutes. You can add more marinade, 1 teaspoon at a time, if the pan starts to seem dry. Turn off the heat, and stir in the artichoke hearts.
Assemble the Vegetable Galette
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Divide the tofu-vegetable mixture between the rounds of puff pastry dough, leaving about a half inch of dough uncovered around the edges.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20 minutes, and serve hot.