This recipe is sponsored by EZ Tofu Press. All opinions are 100% my own.
This super easy vegan breakfast sandwich stars a marinated tofu "egg" and fresh sliced avocado on an English muffin. Make the tofu in the oven or your air fryer!
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
The key to making this vegan breakfast sandwich quickly is doubling up on steps. While the tofu marinates and cooks, you'll get your toppings sliced and piled onto your English muffin.
That way, when the tofu is ready, you can just slide it onto the sandwich, close it up, and eat.
My family has been making versions of this vegan breakfast sandwich for months, and a few weeks ago, I posted a photo of it in my Instagram stories. A few people messaged for the recipe, so here it is!
We had been making this recipe using rectangular pieces of tofu, but when I told Dave that I was planning to put this one on the blog, he suggested cutting the tofu into circles with a biscuit cutter, so you get that perfectly circular "egg" that you probably remember from McMuffins.
So I did, and it was good.
Obviously, when you cut circles out of rectangles, you lose some of the goods, but this is not a bad thing. This is a bonus! Save the leftover pieces, and when you pull out the tofu circles to cook them, toss the offcuts into the leftover marinade for a tofu scramble for one tomorrow morning.
You can also use the leftover tofu to make enough vegan "egg" salad for a couple of sandwiches.
Making the Tofu "Egg"
Getting this tofu just right definitely requires pressing, and you surely know by now that I love to press my tofu with my EZ Tofu Press. It gets the water out, so your tofu can drink in that delicious marinade that brings the flavor.
Unlike pressing in a colander or between two plates, the EZ Tofu Press allows you to add more pressure more evenly. You can get about ½ cup of water out of a single block of tofu. That leaves you with better texture, even after you put back some moisture via the marinade.
In fact, this tofu "egg" only marinates for 10 minutes! That may not seem like long, but thirsty, pressed tofu soaks up plenty of marinade in that time.
I experimented with all different marinating times, and 10 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for getting good color and flavor without ending up with tofu that's too salty.
"But where is the black salt?" I hear you asking. Great question!
Here is the thing about black salt: it is hard to find, and I like my tofu scrambles and "egg" patties just fine without it. I am all about keeping my recipes affordable and accessible, so I try to avoid ingredients that most of my readers would have to special order.
You are more than welcome to add ½ teaspoon of black salt to your marinade. This will give your tofu a more eggy flavor, and I fully support doing it! I just didn't want to make it a requirement, because not everyone can get their hands on it.
But Back to that Breakfast Sandwich
This sandwich is really a McMuffin in name only. You've got that circular "egg" and a slice of (vegan) cheese, but from there, I wanted to design the vegan breakfast sandwich of my dreams, which doesn't come in a yellow wrapper.
Instead, this fully-loaded sandwich is piled high with my faves:
- purple onion
These toppings are suggestions only, so feel free to add and omit to your heart's content. Or use what's already in the fridge. I trust your judgement!
More Easy Vegan Breakfasts
Need some more easy vegan breakfast inspiration? I've got you.
20 Minute Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
For the Tofu "Egg"
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed, sliced into 4 cutlets, then cut into circles (I used a biscuit cutter.)
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- dash of paprika
For the Breakfast Sandwich
- 4 vegan English muffins - Check your ingredients - some popular brands love to use milk in their English muffins. Store brands are more likely to be vegan.
- vegan mayonnaise - optional (Vegan butter also works well in this sandwich!)
- 1 Haas avocado - sliced
- 4 slices your favorite vegan cheese
- sliced onion - optional
- sliced tomato - optional
Marinate the Tofu Overnight
- Toss the tofu circles together in a shallow dish with the soy sauce, garlic powder, turmeric, and paprika. Cover, and marinate for 10 minutes.
Cook the Tofu
- Air Fryer Directions: Place the marinated tofu into your air fryer. Cook at 400F for 10 minutes, shaking after 5minutes.
- Oven Directions: Preheat the oven to 425F. Arrange the marinated tofu on a lined baking sheet. Cook 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.
Make the Sandwich
- Spread your English muffins with vegan mayo or vegan butter. Pile on the avocado, vegan cheese, and toppings of your choice.
- When the tofu is ready, add it to your vegan breakfast sandwich, close it up, and EAT!