Nothing says nostalgia to me like a bowl of chicken soup with rice. This is a vegan version of a recipe my Nani Dorothy used to make.
When I checked the Vegan MoFo themes for this week and saw that today’s theme was Most Retro Recipe, I knew that I had to make chicken soup with rice. This is the recipe that I associate with my dad’s mom. The smell of dill and broth wafting out of the kitchen will always remind me of her.
I monkeyed with Nani’s old recipe a little bit. I couldn’t resist adding some leafy greens, and since the dill at the market has been looking sad lately, I opted for dried rather than handfuls of the fresh stuff. If you can find fresh dill that looks good, by all means, do it!
My favorite part about this vegan chicken soup with rice is that it’s a true one-pot meal. Toss all of your ingredients into the crock pot, turn it on high, and in a few hours there’s soup!
A Bit About Broth
The recipe below calls for vegan chicken broth. Most vegan chicken broths I’ve seen just use the same spice profile that meat-based chicken broths do. No scary artificial flavorings to worry about.
If you can’t find a vegan chicken broth, you can substitute vegetable broth or mushroom broth. The soup will have a bit of a different flavor, but it will still be a cozy bowl of comfort. I promise!
Got your broth all picked out? Let’s throw some things in the crock pot, y’all!
Vegan Chicken Soup with Rice
- 8 cups no-chicken broth
- 1 cup brown rice - uncooked
- 1 cup chopped kale or collard greens
- 1 cup 1/2" thick carrot coins
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 12 ounce package Beyond Chicken Lightly Seasoned Strips - still frozen is perfect
- 1/4 cup olive oil - optional
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons dried dill - or 1/4 cup chopped, fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine all of your ingredients in your slow cooker, and stir well. Set it to high, and cook for 3 hours, or until your rice is tender.
- This recipe serves 4 as a main dish or 8 as a side dish. The nutritional information is calculated for a main dish-sized serving with the optional olive oil.