Who needs a bun when you can serve your veggie burger on a bed of gingery collards?
A couple of weeks ago, I tried out Tale of Two Vegans' Chickpea Spinach Burgers, and they were a huge hit! When Dave asked me to make these again for dinner last night, I made a batch using what we had on hand, and they turned out stellar once again!
This is a great recipe, because it's not only healthy and delicious, it's totally versatile! My take on it is below, but I highly recommend checking out Tale of Two Vegans and trying out the original, too!
Vegan Chickpea Burgers
Yield: 4 burgers
- 2 tablepoons olive oil
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained (about 1 ½c cooked chickpeas, if you'd rather go that route.)
- 2 cups fresh arugula, chopped
- 1 carrot minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- Heat the oil on medium high in a large frying pan. Add the scallions, chickpeas, arugula, and carrot. Fry for a few minutes, until the arugula wilts.
- Transfer the cooked veggies to a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. With a large fork or a potato masher, mash the beans a bit, then use a fork to mix the ingredients until they're well combined.
- Form into four large patties and fry for around three minutes on each side, until they're browned.
I served these over gingered collards, and it was delicious!
Gingered Collard Greens
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 large leaves of collards, cut into ribbons
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon mirin
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium high, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook for a few minutes, until the collards turn bright green and soften a bit.