We got some ultra gorgeous green tomatoes from Vegetable Husband a couple of weeks ago. It's extra special to get tomatoes of any kind during this time of year, since tomatoes are more of a summer thing. I knew I wanted to make something that really let these tomatoes shine, and a sandwich seemed just perfect!
This is not exactly health food, but it was a super tasty lunch!
Vegan Green Tomato Grilled Cheese
- 2 thick slices green tomato
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon Vegenaise
- vegan cheese (I recommend Chao Original slices for this sandwich.)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan on medium high, and throw in the tomato slices. You want to fry them up until they're brown on both sides - a few minutes on each side will do the trick.
- While the tomatoes are frying, spread the Vegenaise onto your slices of bread, and layer the cheese slices onto the bread.
- When the tomatoes are browned, layer them onto the sandwich, close it up, and grill it in the pan with the rest of the olive oil, until the sandwich is browned on both sides.