My Garlic Cashew Cream is the base for this healthy-yet-decadent spin on Vegan Potatoes au Gratin. There are only about 20 minutes of hands-on time to make this recipe, then you can walk away while those tasty potatoes and greens bake!
Vegan Potatoes au Gratin
We are a real potato family. We love them mashed, air fried, and in our tofu scrambles. I kind of can’t believe that I deprived my child of Vegan Potatoes au Gratin for so long! In this version, I add layers of flavorful sauteed collard greens in between the slices of potato. Y-U-M.
Warm, creamy Vegan Potatoes au Gratin are such a cozy side dish. They’re tasty and hearty, and they’re packed with seasonal greens to help shore up that immune system.
My poor family has been trading sicknesses around all winter, so I am not messing around when it comes to packing in as much immune-boosting food as possible. Flu season is supposed to keep going strong until April, so I’m sneaking in extra veggies wherever possible right now.
This recipe is based on my popular Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe. The Garlic Cashew Cream takes the place of the butter, milk, and cheese in your usual potatoes au gratin recipe.
Here’s the game plan for prepping this dish in record time:
- Get those potatoes cooking. I have instructions for stovetop or Instant Pot. You do you.
- Start your cashews soaking.
- Prep and cook your collards while the cashews soak and the potatoes cook.
- Make the Garlic Cashew Cream when the collards are ready.
- Put it all together.
So, there are some logistics involved, but nothing you can’t handle.
It’s worth the logistics for that pan of creamy, potatoey, greens-packed goodness! You can even assemble this casserole a day ahead and bake it day-of, if you want to save yourself even more time.
Vegan Potatoes au Gratin
- 2 Russet potatoes - sliced into rounds about 1/4" thick
- 1 recipe Addictive Stovetop Collard Greens
For the Garlic Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews - soaked for 10 minutes in hot water
- 1/2 cup water - Not the soaking water - new water! If you are not using a high speed blender, it's OK to add an extra 2 tablespoons of water to get things moving.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt - or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
Cook the Potatoes
- On the Stove: Combine the potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover, plus about two inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the potato slices are fork-tender. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water.
- In the Instant Pot: Combine the potatoes with 1/2 cup of water. Set to high pressure for 4 minutes, then do a quick release. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water.
Make the Garlic Cashew Cream
- Combine all of the Garlic Cashew Cream ingredients in your blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cashew cream. Toss the remaining cashew cream with the collard greens.
Make the Vegan Potatoes au Gratin
- Spread half of the collard greens into the bottom of an 8"x8" glass baking pan and cover with half of the potatoes in an overlapping layer. Add the remaining collards, then top with the remaining potatoes. Spread the reserved 3/4 cup cashew cream on top.
- Bake 10 minutes, and serve.