Vegan quiche Lorraine is rich, yet light and fluffy, and it's packed with plant-based bacon power!
Y'all, I am thrilled to share this Vegan Quiche Lorraine recipe as part of the blog tour for Leinana Two Moons's new vegan cookbook: Baconish. Baconish is a whole book dedicated to the different ways that you can make vegan bacon, and it did not disappoint!
There's a joke in the vegan community that vegans can make bacon out of anything, and this book proves that it's funny because it's true. Get the vegan quiche Lorraine recipe from Baconish below!
More bacony goodness: Get my bacon cashews recipe!
A Little Bit About Baconish
Baconish starts out with the basics: a little introduction about bacon and 14 different "Meet the Bacons" recipes.
I like that in the book's intro, she doesn't shy away from touching on our culture's obsession with bacon. In her introduction, she says, "I hope this book will interest everyone who loves bacon - and everyone who loves animals even more than they love bacon."
From there, she shares breakfast recipes, soups, salads, sandwiches, sides, main dishes, and even desserts packed with vegan bacon goodness.
The vegan quiche Lorraine recipe is from the breakfast chapter, and I'm so glad that I chose it to try first. It's pretty quick and easy, and the results are just delightful.
More Recipes from Baconish
Want to check out some other recipes from the book? Here are a few other reviews of Baconish featuring different recipes:
Making Vegan Quiche Lorraine
To make her vegan quiche Lorraine, you can use homemade or store-bought bacon and a homemade or store-bought pie crust.
Leinana has two kids, so she totally gets maybe not having time to cook everything from scratch. Whichever direction you go, I think you'll be really happy with this recipe and with Baconish!
This recipe truly couldn't be simpler. Start by grinding raw cashews to a cornmeal-like texture.
Then, just toss a few other ingredients into the blender, stir in cooked vegan bacon and vegan cheddar shreds, pour it all into a pie crust, and bake.
The total cooking time is about an hour and 20 minutes, but over an hour of that time is baking and cooling time. You can be doing other things while the quiche cooks and cools.
After you bake and cool your quiche, serve up slices with a sprinkle of fresh chives and prepare to be delighted.
Choosing a Pie Crust for Your Quiche Lorraine
If you don't want to make a pie crust from scratch, you totally don't have to. You also don't have to pony up for an expensive vegan pie crust.
Many brands of conventional pie crusts are vegan! Just check the ingredients of the frozen pie crusts in your grocery store. The ingredients to keep an eye out for are:
- egg or albumin
- oleic acid or oleinic acid
Don't let that list intimidate you, though! There are plenty of accidentally vegan pie crusts at the grocery store. Start with the store brand crusts, because those tend to be animal product-free, in my experience.
Got your vegan pie crust ready? Let's make come bacony, creamy, Vegan Quiche Lorraine, y'all!
Vegan Quiche Lorraine Recipe from Baconish
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 14 ounces soft tofu - drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped seitan bacon - or your favorite vegan bacon
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 9-inch vegan pie crust
- chopped fresh chives - for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a blender or food processor, pulse the cashews until they are finely ground. Add the tofu, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, miso paste, mustard, salt, and onion powder, then blend again until the mixture is very smooth.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon pieces and cook until they are browned and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the tofu filling with the bacon and cheese. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and bake for 45 minutes, until deep golden brown on top. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Garnish with chopped fresh chives before serving.