This recipe is sponsored by EZ Tofu Press. All opinions, as always, are 100% my own.
Yesss to these simple and delicious tofu tacos stuffed with sweet-and-savory BBQ tofu, tangy pickled jalapeno guac, and crunchy broccoli slaw.
BBQ Tofu Tacos
These tofu tacos start with a modified version of my Twice-Baked BBQ Tofu. Instead of baking this tofu twice, you bake for longer and only once. You'll still end up with flavorful tofu, but there's a little bit less active cooking time involved this way.
The key to getting that toothsome flavor, especially when you're only baking once, is pressing that tofu!
I like to do this with my EZ Tofu Press. The EZ Tofu Press gets a ton of water out, so your tofu is super duper firm and ready to drink in that tasty BBQ goodness during baking.
Not only does the EZ Tofu Press get out a LOT of water - about ½ cup on average from an extra firm block of tofu - but it keeps the block's shape. That's great for a recipe like this, where you want even pieces of tofu.
Once you're done pressing your tofu, bake in your favorite vegan BBQ sauce. In 40 minutes, you'll be ready to stuff it into the best tofu tacos of. your. LIFE!
While the tofu is baking, you've got plenty of time to make the super easy Pickled Jalapeno Guacamole to top off your tofu tacos.
Pickled Jalapeno Guacamole
Creamy and spicy Pickled Jalapeno Guacamole is the secret sauce that makes these tacos extra special. The spiciness is so nice when you pair it with sweet, tangy BBQ sauce!
Making this guac isn't any harder than making conventional guacamole. Instead of fresh jalapenos and lime juice, you will use pickled jalapenos from a jar and the pickling brine.
The result is a super tasty, somewhat spicy guacamole that's perfect on these tacos and also anywhere else you'd use plain ol' guacamole.
BBQ Tofu Tacos with Pickled Jalapeno Guacamole
For the BBQ Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cut into small "fingers" (see photos and video)
- 1 ½ cup vegan BBQ sauce
For the Pickled Jalapeno Guacamole
- 3 small Haas avocados - or 2 large
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos - depending on how hot you want your guac - homemade or store-bought are both fine!
- 3 to 4 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped green onion - green & white parts are fine
- ½ cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons juice from the jar of pickled jalapenos
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro - loosely packed
- salt - to taste
For the BBQ Tofu Tacos
- 16 small small flour tortillas - Whole wheat is fine, too!
- 1 ½ cup broccoli slaw - or shredded cabbage
- 1 lime cut into wedges - optional
Make the BBQ Tofu
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Pour ½ cup of BBQ sauce into the bottom of an 8×8? glass baking pan, and shake the pan to spread the sauce out evenly. Arrange the baked tofu cubes on top, then top off with the rest of the sauce, shaking again to distribute the sauce.
- Stick the uncovered pan of tofu and BBQ sauce into the oven, and bake for 40 minutes.
Make the Pickled Jalapeno Guacamole
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with a fork, then mix in all of the remaining guacamole ingredients, except the salt. Season with salt, to taste. You can also add extra jalapeno or jalapeno juice, to taste, when you're done with the first mix and mash.
Make the BBQ Tofu Tacos
- I like to let my family assemble their own, so everyone can pile on as much of everything as they like. For one taco, layer the tofu, then the guac, then about 2 tablespoons of broccoli slaw and a squeeze of lime to your tortilla, and EAT!
- When you're shopping for BBQ sauce, the main non-vegan ingredients to look out for are honey and anchovies. Some BBQ sauces also contain actual meat, so read those ingredients carefully!
- 2 tacos = 1 serving