This watermelon martini has a peppery edge that's just right! Cracked black pepper contrasts really well with sweet watermelon in this martini recipe.
What's cool about this cocktail is that you don't need a juicer to make your watermelon juice. Watermelon is 93 percent water, so it blends up into a totally drinkable juice.
A blender is all you need to make this delicious watermelon martini. No juicer required!
I first discovered the joy of watermelon "juice" when I began making my own sports drinks during marathon training back in 2012. Watermelon is super hydrating. Perfect for fueling some summer running.
Or - you know - for making a refreshing cocktail. Whichever.
Instead of using a juicer, you make your watermelon juice by pureeing fresh watermelon, then straining out the bits.
You could actually use this unstrained if you'd rather, but it doesn't look quite as pretty. Your choice!
The recipe below is for one watermelon martini. You can easily scale it up to serve 2-4. Or make a whole pitcher for a summer shindig!
Watermelon Martini with Basil and Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 2" pieces fresh watermelon
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves - plus extra, for garnish
- 5 ice cubes
- Put the watermelon into your blender, and puree until it’s pretty smooth. Strain the juice into a cocktail shaker.
- Add the vodka, peppercorns, and basil to your shaker, then muddle your ingredients together.
- Toss your ice cubes into your cocktail shaker, and give everything a good shake. The longer you shake, the more diluted your drink will get, so shake just until the shaker starts to feel cold on the outside.
- Strain into your martini glass and garnish with basil and a few peppercorns if you like. If you’re like me and broke your martini glasses, you can serve up your watermelon martini in a wine glass. I won’t judge!