Vegan Instant Pot Pinto Beans
Hearty, Smoky Instant Pot Pinto Beans are an easy, versatile dish that you'll come back to again and again.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or more, if you like things more garlicky
- 2 cups dry pinto beans picked over and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or more or less, to taste
Use your Instant Pot's saute function to heat the oil, then add the onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes, until the onion turns translucent. Press Cancel on your pot.
Add the beans, paprike, and water. Stir, then lock the lid. Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes, and do a 10-minute natural release. After 10 minutes, quick release the remaining pressure, and taste one of the beans. If they're not at your desired softness, replace the lid and cook for another 5 minutes, quick release, and taste again.
Once the beans are at your desired texture, add the salt to the pot, give it a good stir, and serve.
- adapted from NYT Cooking
- Cooking time varies depending on the age of your beans. Older dried beans take longer to get tender. Just keep adding a couple of minutes at a time until you reach your desired consistency.