Vegan Deviled Potatoes
This recipe uses those cute tiny purple potatoes. I love how eerie the purple is, but you can use any tiny potato. My favorites are the new organic ones from Tasteful Selections. The black salt, called kala namak, makes the filling taste like egg, so you’ll remember the deviled eggs you grew up on.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 24 ounce bag small red, yellow or purple potatoes rinsed well
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu about 1 pound, some containers weigh a little less
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt or kala namak or regular kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives stuffed with pimentos
Add the potatoes to a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until you can pierce the potato easily with a fork.
Drain, rinse with cool water and set aside until cool.
Make the tofu salad.
Combine the drained tofu, mayo, mustard and salt in a bowl. Mash the tofu and mix well.
Cut the cooled potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out circular holes using a melon baller or small spoon. Spoon some tofu salad into each hole and top with a pimento-stuffed olive slice.