Vegan Cheesy Crackers are crunchy, savory, and remind me of vegan Cheez Its. They take about as much time to make as a batch of muffins.
Darrol Henry is OBSESSED with cheesy crackers. He loves Earth Balance Cheddar Squares, and I love that now I have a homemade crackers recipe for his Vegan Cheez Its cravings!
I’m sure we’ll still buy the EB crackers sometimes, but I am a big fan of making things at home, when time allows. These take about as long to make as a batch of muffins, so I’m betting that we’ll whip them up frequently from now on.
About Veganize It!
Y’all! I am so excited to be today’s stop on the Veganize It! blog tour and share the recipe for this amazing crackers recipe from the book.
Veganize It! is the latest from vegan cookbook superstar, Robin Robertson. The book is packed with vegan versions of comfort food favorites, including these Vegan Cheesy Crackers. You can see from the cover that this book does not mess around.
There are 150 recipes in Veganize It!, including the beautiful, vegan pepperoni pizza on the cover and the Vegan Cheesy Crackers I’m sharing today.
A few of my favorite bloggers have also reviewed this book, and the recipes they’re sharing are just as fantastic as these crackers. Here are some of the others that I’m drooling over from the blog tour:
- Cauliflower Picatta – Get the recipe at Dianne’s Vegan Kitchen!
- Breakfast Nachos – Get the recipe at Veggies Save the Day!
- Clam-Free Chowder – Get the recipe at Yummy Plants!
- Hearts of Palm & Artichoke Cakes – Get the recipe at V. Nutrition!
Making Vegan Cheez Its
If you’ve never made crackers before, don’t be intimidated! Robertson’s Vegan Cheesy Crackers are so, so simple to make.
Just mix the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, roll them out, slice, and bake. Bing, bang, boom!
To get nice, clean lines, I found that a pizza cutter worked best, but you can use a butter knife, if you don’t have a pizza cutter.
The hardest part is waiting for them to cool, because you’ll want to dive into these savory, crunchy crackers right away.
Vegan Cheez Its
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and turmeric. Mix well. Add the olive oil, butter, and lemon juice, mixing with a fork until the dough is fine and crumbly. Add the water a tablespoon at a time until the dough becomes cohesive.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper large enough to fit a large rimmed baking pan. (You can use a Silpat instead, if you have one.) Top the dough with another sheet of parchment paper and roll out the dough until thin, measuring about 11 x 13 inches. Transfer the parchment paper and rolled-out dough to a large rimmed baking sheet. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and cut the rolled dough into 2-inch squares. If desired, remove any uneven pieces of dough from around the edges and press together into a small disk and roll it out to get more crackers that are a uniform size. (Otherwise, you’ll have a few partial crackers from around the end to nibble on!)
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the crackers are baked but not browned. The color should be golden. Cool completely on the baking sheet. These crackers keep well for a week in a sealed container at room temperature.