Simple Vegan Cheese sauce is soy free, nut free, and decadently delicious. Drizzle it over chips for instant nachos or use anywhere you want a little dairy-free cheesy goodness.
How to Make Basic Vegan Cheese Sauce
The method for making this sauce is basically the same as a bechamel. Don’t let the word “bechamel” send you into a panic, though! It sounds fancy, but it’s super easy to make one.
In fact, my four-year-old helps me make the vegan bechamel we use as a base for our homemade mac and cheese. If he can do it, so can you!
This recipe is actually a lot quicker and easier than a bechamel. You only have to whisk for a minute or so after you add ingredients, so it’s a snap to make. Here’s how this super easy sauce comes together (and check out the video for a visual).
- Melt a bit of coconut oil, then cook with flour and spices.
- Add nutritional yeast.
- Add water, and stir, stir, stir.
That’s it! If you can pour and stir, you can do this.
How to Use Your Vegan Cheese Sauce
Use this sauce anywhere you want to add a cheesy punch.
- Drizzle it over a grain bowl.
- Pour it over chips for instant nachos.
- Use it as a vegan queso dip.
- Spoon it on in place of the sriracha mayo in your avocado tacos.
The Veginner’s Cookbook Review
The book is a helpful guide for anyone who wants to give veganism a spin. The first section walks you through everything you need to know about going vegan:
- kitchen tools and ingredients
- basic grain cooking
- vegan substitutes for non-vegan ingredients
- how to talk to skeptics (or get them to leave you alone)
From there, Bianca and her partner, Sascha Naderer, arm you with recipes for everything from kitchen staples and entrees to baked goods and desserts.
I chose their Basic Vegan Cheese Sauce to showcase, because it’s so versatile. For a new vegan, I think having some go-to staples like this sauce can be a real gamechanger. I hear so often that cooking vegan food is time consuming, and having go-tos like this speed things up considerably.
The other thing I love about this Basic Vegan Cheese Sauce is that it’s nut free. We have a few friends with peanut and tree nut allergies, and now we have a cheesy sauce that we can share with them!
Simple Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the coconut oil in a small pot on low heat.
- Once the oil is a complete liquid, add in the flour and whisk.
- Add the salt, paprika powder, and curry powder and whisk again.
- Then, add the nutritional yeast and whisk again. It should be clumpy – that’s normal, don’t worry.
- Add the water and whisk on the lowest heat setting for about 1 minute until the sauce thickens nicely. If it gets too thick (or if you want to reheat at a later time) you can add a little bit more water and whisk again and it should be good as new.
- Use it as a dip, pour it over some lasagna or pizza or whatever you like, and enjoy!