This recipe is sponsored by EZ Tofu Press. All opinions are, as always, 100% my own.
Crunchy Vegan Chicken Nuggets are a crowd-pleasing, kid-friendly delight dipped in Vegan 'Honey' Mustard sauce!
Vegan Chicken Nuggets
My kid is five now, and that means he's becoming very aware of what his friends are eating. We've always tried to make his lunches "fit in" with the other kids at school, but now he's also talking about food that other kids talk about.
He's been asking for vegan chicken nuggets in his lunchbox for awhile now, and I've packed him lunches with store-bought vegan nuggets a few times.
The ones in the bag are convenient, but they're a little bit expensive. This recipe is me trying to make my kid a "standard" kid dish for less money and maybe mae it a little bit healthier, too.
Don't worry: these aren't too healthy. They still taste like crunchy, decadent Vegan Chicken Nuggets.
But they are baked instead of deep fried. And, of course, no animals are harmed to make them, which matters more to me than how healthy they are.
How to Make Vegan Chicken Nuggets
These Vegan Chicken Nuggets use a similar technique to my Buffalo Tofu Bites. Seasoned breadcrumbs replace the panko, and the flavor profile is different, of course, but the how-to is basically the same.
To make these little bites, the crucial fist step is to press that block of tofu for 10-15 minutes. Pressing is going to give you the super firm texture you want in the finished nuggets.
I press my tofu using my EZ Tofu Press. This press is the real deal and gets an average of a half cup of water out of an extra firm block of tofu. That is a lot of water, so you know it's making a big difference in the texture department.
Once your tofu is pressed and cut into nugget-sized pieces, it's time to coat them in seasoned breadcrumbs and bake on a lined cookie sheet.
While your Vegan Chicken Nuggets bake, you can whip up the super easy Vegan "Honey" Mustard sauce.
Just whisk together a few simple ingredients in a bowl, and stick it in the fridge until you're ready to eat.
Gluten Free Variations
If you're looking to gluten free Vegan Chicken Nuggets, you have a couple of options. You can follow my recipe below, and just substitute your favorite gluten free bread. Or, if you'd rather try something a little bit different, my pal Michelle at Healthier Steps has a recipe for gluten-free tofu nuggets to try!
Vegan Chicken Nuggets with 'Honey' Mustard Dipping Sauce
Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed, and cut into 16 "nuggets." See video!
- ½ cup vegan mayo
For the Vegan Breadcrumbs
- 3-4 slices vegan bread - toasted. If your slices are very big or thick, use 3. For more standard-sized bread, use 4 slices.
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper - optional
Make the Vegan Breadcrumbs
- Add all of the breadcrumb ingredients to your blender or food processor. Pulse until you have a crumbly mix.
Make the Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Measure the mayo into a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs and spices.
- Dredge the tofu in the mayo, then in the breadcrumb mixture, and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
Make the Vegan 'Honey' Mustard Dipping Sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk the mustard, mayo, and agave together until well-combined. Refrigerate until you're ready to serve.