Cashew ranch dressing is rich, creamy, and flavorful. And it's so easy to make, right in your blender!
Oh boy, do I love ranch dressing! It's perfect for dipping everything from veggies to tofu to tots. And this cashew ranch dressing is hands-down my favorite vegan ranch.
It's so flavorful and easy to make!
The base for this dressing is a simple cashew cream. If you're not familiar with cashew cream, it isn't some kind of fancy, expensive specialty food. In fact, I've never seen it for sale in the store.
Cashew cream is just raw cashews blended up in water or some other combination of liquids. The key to making good cashew cream is to soak your cashews in water. This softens them up so you it's easy to get them super creamey, even in the crappiest blender.
A lot of recipes for cashew-based sauces call for raw cashews, but in my experience, that's not really necessary. Soaking will soften up roasted cashews just fine, so feel free to use either to make your cashew ranch dressing.
One you soak your cashews, drain off the soaking water. Then, toss them into the blender with water, lemon juice, and a few dried spices, and boom! Cashew ranch.
One thing to note: This dressing does thicken up as it cools, so don't panic if it feels a bit thin when it comes out of the blender. Just stick it into the fridge to chill, and it will thicken up to creamy perfection.
How to store
I like to store this dressing in a mason jar. It will keep in an airtight container like this for five to seven days in the refrigerator.
Occasionally, this dressing will separate in the fridge. This is no problem! Just stir it up, and you're good to go.
Cashew ranch dressing
- 1 cup cashews - raw or roasted is fine
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large clove or 2 small cloves of garlic
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper - or more, to taste
- Soak the cashews with enough hot water to cover them completely for 10 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and pour them into the blender along with the remaining ingredients, except the salt and pepper. Blend until completely smooth. This will take about a minute in a high speed blender, and it will take longer in a regular blender. Just keep blending, stopping every minute to give the motor breaks, until your mixture is totally smooth.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper, if needed, to suit your tastes. Refrigerate until you're ready to serve.