You only need two ingredients to make this creamy, festive vegan queso recipe. No, for real. It's going to be your new favorite snacky treat.
Y'all, before we get to the 6-Minute Vegan Queso recipe, I do what to throw one caveat out there: this recipe uses the microwave. (Please, don't yell at me!)
But good news!
If you don't like to use the microwave, you can make this queso on the stovetop in a small saucepan. Just heat over low heat, stirring constantly.
Either way, this dip is quick, easy, creamy, dreamy queso perfection!
Making Vegan Queso
You truly only need two ingredients to make this queso:
- a package of vegan cheese slices (Choose a brand that melts well!)
- half a can of tomatoes with green chiles
You're going to treat the stack of cheese slices like a single block of cheese here. Grab a knife, and slice the "block" into 1" cubes. Place the cubes into a microwave safe glass dish.
Then, add the tomatoes and green chiles from the can. No need to stir. Just dump them right on there, then stick the bowl in the microwave.
Microwave your queso on high for three minutes, and give it a good stir. Depending on the power of your microwave and the type of cheese you used, your vegan queso may be done now.
It's finished cooking when you have a smooth, creamy mix after stirring. There may be some lumps in your finished queso before you stir. They will melt down after a few seconds of stirring.
If your queso needs more time, just stick the bowl back into the microwave for an additional minute, and stir again. Repeat the one-minute-then-stir situation until the queso turns smooth with stirring.
How to Serve, Store, and Reheat It
Serve your vegan queso anywhere you'd use dairy queso! Here are some ideas:
- with chips for dipping
- poured over a plate of Vegan Nachos
- as a topping for tacos
- as a baked potato topping
Anywhere you can use some melty, cheesy goodness, this queso is here for you!
It will keep in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, just pop it into the microwave, one minute at a time and stirring in between, until it's nice and creamy again.
6-Minute Vegan Queso
- 1 7-ounce package Chao Creamy Original Slices - cut into 1" pieces (Just cut through the whole stack of slices, like in the photo above.)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes and green chiles - undrained (about half of a 15 ounce can)
- Put cheese and tomatoes into a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes (see note), and stir. Keep microwaving in 1-minute increments, stirring well each time. Your cheese will be fully melted before it looks fully melted. Before deciding to pop the dip back in, try breaking up the chunks of cheese with your spoon. They might just need a little bit of help to combine into the queso. My queso took just two 1-minute rounds in my little low-power microwave, for a total cooking time of 5 minutes. A more powerful microwave might not need that extra minute.
- Serve with your favorite things to dip in queso!