Mix up some 3-ingredient homemade ranch seasoning, and use it to make a batch of ranch popcorn. You won't be sorry!
Guys, I love ranch. Before I went vegan, one of my favorite treats Y'all a plate of tater tots at The Highlander topped with pickled jalapenos and plenty of ranch alongside for dipping.
Now, I satisfy that greasy tot craving with a side of Vegan Ranch Dressing, but who says that the ranch party has to stop there?
What is ranch?
Have you ever wondered what makes ranch...ranch? There are lots of variations, but at its core, ranch seasoning is all about three key flavors:
You can add other seasonings, like parsley and paprika, but if you're looking for ranch's true essence, it's about those three simple spices.
This homemade ranch seasoning is great on all kinds of things!
- Rub it onto tofu before baking.
- Sprinkle it onto popcorn.
- Mix it into your hummus
- Stir it into your next batch of cauliflower mashed potatoes.
- Whisk it into vegan mayo for almost-instant ranch dressing.
This ranch seasoning is versatile stuff, is what I'm saying here!
Ranch popcorn is the bomb. Seriously, I never thought I'd find anything to rival good, ol' nutritional yeast popcorn, but this gives it a run for its money.
Mix up the homemade ranch on its own, or use the full recipe below to make the ranch seasoned popcorn of your dreams!
Ranch popcorn with homemade ranch seasoning recipe
For the homemade ranch seasoning
- 4 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
For the popcorn
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance or your favorite vegan margarine - melted
Make the ranch seasoning
- In the smallest bowl, combine the dill, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Make the popcorn
- Pop the popcorn using your preferred method. I used my air popper.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl. Drizzle half of the Earth Balance onto the popcorn, then shake on half of the Homemade Ranch Seasoning. Shake the bowl to toss the popcorn in the margarine/ranch mix.
- Repeat the drizzle, shake, and mix with the rest of the margarine and Ranch Seasoning. Serve immediately.