We finally got a chance to order the Moo Free Selection Box from Moo Free Chocolates! Let's talk about this vegan Christmas chocolate box.
UK-based Moo Free has been making vegan chocolates since 2010. They're not only committed to making dairy-free chocolate, but their chocolates are also Rainforest Alliance certified.
That means that their production practices are better for the planet and for workers. Great news, because chocolate production is notoriously bad in the human rights department.
What's in their vegan Christmas selection box?
Their Moo Free Selection box comes with five varieties of vegan chocolates:
- Choccy Buttons - a pack of little, round dairy-free chocoolate coins
- Moo Free Strawberry - a strawberry-flavored vegan chocolate bar
- Bunny Comb - a vegan "honeycomb" bar in dairy-free milk chocolate
- White - vegan white chocolate, baby!
- Caramel - caramel-flavored chocolate bar
The bars and buttons are all gluten- and dairy-free. They're also free of soy and don't use any palm oil.
Where to buy it
Because Moo Free is a UK brand, it's easiest to find in the UK. The stores that currently stock Moo Free Chocolates are:
- Marks & Spencer
Here in the U.S., you can't find Moo Free in most grocery stores. Their site says that Aldi and Lidl carry it, so you may be able to find it at U.S. locations of those stores. I haven't had a chance to check the locations by me yet!
Luckily, you can also get them online! You can find them online:
Moo Free Vegan Selection Box review
We tried all five chocolates from the Moo Free Selection Box. Overall, it was pretty hit and miss. I do think their chocolate has a lovely texture. The execution of the flavors didn't always work, unfortunately.
Here's what we thought of each selection in the box.
- Caramel - Neither of us was wild about this one. It was fine, but it didn't give big caramel vibes. We both agreed that this bar would have been better if it had had a caramel center, rather than being caramel-flavored chocolate.
- Strawberry - We felt the same way about the strawberry as we did about the caramel. The strawberry flavor on this bar was light and didn't do it for either of us. We would have preferred strawberry pieces, rather than flavored chocolate.
- White Chocolate - This one was good! It was a solid, white chocolate that delivered on both creamy texture and sweet, pleasant flavor. If you like white chocolate, you'll dig this bar.
- Bunny Comb - This was the only bar with bits in it, and it made such a difference! The "bunny comb" pieces were lightly sweet and crispy. It was almost like a crunch bar, but with smaller crunchy bites. Recommended!
- Choccy Buttons - These were little rounds of plain, vegan milk chocolate, and I really liked these! They were sweet and creamy with a mild bitterness, just like the milk chocolate I remember from my pre-vegan days.
Overall, I don't think I'd get the Moo Free Selection Box again. I would definitely grab that Bunny Comb bar or a bag of Choccy Buttons for a sweet treat, thought! I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate, but I'd recommend the White Chocolate bar to anyone who is!
Where to listen
Thank you so much for listening (or reading!). We record these episodes for you, and we'd love to hear from you.
Got a favorite vegan treat that you think we should cover on the podcast? Send your suggestions to [email protected]!
You can find Talkin' Tofu on: