Why wait all day for boiled peanuts when you can make Instant Pot boiled peanuts in a fraction of the time? You only need a few ingredients to make these salty, garlicky boiled peanuts in your Instant Pot or any other electric pressure cooker.
These savory Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts taste like summer, and they're so simple to make in the pressure cooker. So grab yourself some raw peanuts, and let's get cooking!
Get more Instant Pot favorites: My Family's Favorite Vegan Instant Pot Recipes
The critical first step when making boiled peanuts -- in the pressure cooker or otherwise -- is to get all of the dirt off of the shells.
Your best bet is to soak your peanuts in water, then rinse them very well. I like to put the soaked peanuts into a colander, then get in there with my hands to agitate the peanuts. Any grit goes right down the drain.
Once you clean your peanuts, you're ready to throw them into the pressure cooker. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and water, then cook at pressure with a natural release.
When the peanuts are cool enough to handle, you're ready to eat!
About the cooking time
Boiled peanuts only cook for an hour in the Instant Pot or other pressure cooker.
Usually, you simmer boiled peanuts for 5 hours or more on the stovetop, so this recipe takes a fraction of the cooking time.
Resting time for these boiled peanuts is the same as for stovetop.
Every bag of raw peanuts is different, so your cooking time may vary slightly. Older raw peanuts may need to cook longer, and that's no big deal.
Test out a few peanuts before you drain them, and if they're not soft enough to pop open easily, put the lid back onto the Instant Pot, and cook for another 10-15 minutes at high pressure. Do a quick release, and check again. Repeat until your peanuts are cooked to perfection.
How to store them
These are super delicious served warm (as soon as they're cool enough to handle) but they're also delicious cold. They'll keep for around 3 days, drained, in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Instant Pot boiled peanuts recipe
- ¾ pound raw peanuts in the shell - about 5 cups, washed well and drained
- ¼ cup sea salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 6 cup water
- Transfer the peanuts to your pressure cooker and add the salt and spices. Add the water.
- Cook at high pressure for 1 hour, then do a 10 minute natural release (DO NOT press cancel when the Pot beeps after cooking - leave it at low pressure).
- Let the peanuts sit in the pot until they're cool enough to handle (about 20 more minutes), then pop open one of the peanuts and taste it. If it's not easy to open and soft, bring the pot back to pressure for 5-10 more minutes, and do another natural release. Peanuts can vary in how hard they are, so cooking time will vary as well. If they're still not done after another round of cooking, do another 5 minutes, and keep going until they're nice and soft.
- Drain your peanuts and store in an airtight container. They'll keep in the fridge for about a week to 10 days.
- A note about cooking time: Usually, you'd simmer boiled peanuts for around 5 hours on the stovetop, so this recipe takes less than half of the cooking time! Resting time for Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts is the same as for stovetop.
- Adapted from Alton Brown's boiled peanuts recipe.