This vegan tofu ricotta works well in any savory recipe that calls for ricotta cheese. I kept the flavor mild, but I'll include some variations below, in case you want to make seasoned vegan ricotta!
About the ingredients
- Tofu is the base for this vegan ricotta. Pressed tofu gives it a perfect, creamy texture.
- Olive oil adds moisture and ups the creaminess factor. Replace it with water for oil-free
- Lemon juice adds a touch of acidity that you associate with cheese.
- Miso brings the umami punch, a little saltiness, and a satisfying flavor.
- Italian seasoning makes this perfect for Italian-style dishes like stuffed shells or baked ziti.
- Garlic and onion powders up the flavor ante and bring even more umami to the table.
When you're making your vegan ricotta, you definitely need to press your tofu. Pressing gets the excess water out, so your ricotta will have the perfect texture.
After pressing, add the tofu to your food processor along with olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasonings, miso paste, and garlic and onion powders. Process until you have an even mixture with a little bit of texture, like dairy ricotta.
Want to mix up your vegan ricotta game? Try these additions:
- ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes -- You can also replace the olive oil in the tofu ricotta recipe below with the oil from the jar for an extra flavor punch.
- 6-7 ounces of frozen spinach, thawed and with the excess moisture squeezed out
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, to give it some heat
You can also mix and match the ingredients above. Have fun with it!
How to store
Store your tofu ricotta in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for around four days.
When you take the container out of the fridge to serve, there may be some separation, which is totally normal. Just stir until everything is recombined, and you're good to go.
I do not recommend freezing this vegan cheese, because freezing alters tofu's texture, and you want this cheese to stay nice and creamy!
Vegan ricotta recipe
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Combine all of the ingredients in your food processor, and process until you have an even mixture with the texture of conventional ricotta. Taste and add salt, if needed.
Frequently asked questions
Vegan ricotta ingredients can vary from recipe to recipe. This one uses tofu as the base.
Yes! The food processor transforms the tofu into a spreadable, creamy, cheesy consistency.
Freezing and then thawing tofu causes it to release water, which could alter the texture. I do not recommend freezing tofu ricotta.