OK, so I’ve posted a vegan shepherd’s pie recipe before, but! It’s pretty much different every time I make it. This batch came out really well, so I thought this family fave deserved revisiting!
This dish is super easy to make and so hearty! It’s packed with mushrooms and tofu, then topped with creamy mashed potatoes. I kept the veggies traditional – peas and carrots – for a no-frills bowl of comfort food.
Easy Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 4 baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 block tofu, cubed
- 8oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 2T olive oil
- 1 cup veggie or no-chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Cook the potatoes either in the oven or the microwave, then mash them up with the soy milk, margarine, and pepper. Don’t fret if things are a bit dry. You’ll be adding some broth in just a few minutes!
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and saute the tofu and mushrooms for a couple of minutes, then add the broth, peas, and carrots. Simmer until the mushrooms soften.
- Now would be a good time to preheat your oven to 400.
- Scoop out about half of the liquid from the pan and add it to your potatoes. Mash them up a bit more, then spread half of the potato mixture evenly on the bottom of an oiled 8X8″ baking dish.
- Add the veggies and the rest of the liquid from the pan, then spread the remaining potatoes over the top of the veggies. Sprinkle your nutritional yeast on top, then bake for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes brown.
This vegan shepherd’s pie recipe makes a great, hearty meal for the cold rainy weather we’re having this week!