Vegan tofu sausage crumbles are incredibly easy to make, right in the oven. Use them anywhere you'd use ground sausage!
Tofu sausage is super toothsome and flavorful. It's packed with sausagey seasonings. Try it in tacos, scrambles, pasta, and potato dishes! It's also the perfect filling for making your own vegan sausage rolls.
Want to make more vegan meat? Try my easy chickpea walnut chorizo!
The first, very important step in this recipe is to press your tofu. Pressing gets the water out, so your tofu will drink in the flavorful sausage seasonings.
While the tofu presses, mix up the sausage seasoning paste by combining soy sauce, tomato paste, liquid smoke, and lots of spices.
Now, crumble the pressed tofu into the bowl with the spice paste, and mix well. You want to be sure that you coat all of the tofu in the spices, so you have the most even, flavorful results!
Spread the mixture onto a lined baking sheet, and bake. You'll want to stir the mixture once during baking, so it cooks evenly.
Tips for success
Getting the best results with this recipe is all about treating that tofu properly:
- Press it well. That's going to get it super firm, which is the texture you want from sausage!
- Crumble it thoroughly. You are going for approximately pea-sized pieces or smaller for the best results.
- Stir once during the baking process, so it cooks evenly.
Serving and storage directions
Also add tofu sausage to:
- vegan sausage rolls
- pasta dishes
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
You can also freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Let them thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat in the oven at 350° F until heated through.
Easy Tofu Sausage Crumbles
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional, use less for less heat or omit for mild sausage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F, and start pressing your tofu.
- While the tofu presses, combine all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well, until you have a smooth paste.
- Crumble the tofu into the bowl, making sure to crumble into really small, pea-sized pieces. Use a fork to coat all of the tofu in that flavorful seasoning.
- Spread the tofu mixture onto a lined baking sheet, making sure to really spread it out well, so it will bake evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
Store-bought soy sausage crumbles are usually made from soy protein, coconut oil, and spices. This tofu sausage recipe is coconut oil-free and uses a whole block of tofu instead of soy protein.
You can! Just use gluten-free soy sauce, and you're good to go.