When I first started making this vegan queso recipe back in 2011, it was kind of a revelation. At the time, commercially-available vegan cheeses only vaguely resembled cheese. This was before Chao and Follow Your Heart Slices hit the shelves and before Miyoko Schinner’s Artisan Vegan Cheese changed the game.
One of the most common comments I get from non-vegans is that they couldn’t live without cheese. Seriously, I can almost tell by the look on a person’s face at this point that they’re about to confess their cheesy devotion. I’m not complaining, here. Just observing. Because I was a die-hard cheese-eater, too.
As I’ve mentioned before, giving up cheese was harder for me than giving up smoking. It was also one of the best things I think I’ve ever done for my health, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. While store-bought vegan cheeses have come a long way, I still make this vegan queso recipe quite a bit. It’s affordable, easy, and uses all natural ingredients. My favorite things!
Even my omnivore friends devour this vegan queso dip when I make it, and I thought you guys might like to try it, too, since it’s so quick and simple to make!
Vegan Queso Recipe
This vegan queso recipe will keep in the fridge nicely for a day or two, so it’s a great make-ahead recipe for parties!
Yield: about 6 servings
- 1 cup raw cashews (preferably soaked for 4 hours or up to overnight, but if you have a high speed blender, you can skip the soaking)
- 1/2 cup salsa (your choice!)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- Toss all of the ingredients into the blender, and puree until smooth.
- Then, blend for a little bit longer.
- Then, just for good measure, blend for just 30 more seconds. Serve with chips, crackers, or veggies for dipping. You can also drizzle over tortilla chips for some impromptu nachos!
Linking up to Found + Foraged.