This week, Cadry Nelson from Cadry's Kitchen joins us to talk about vegan pizza we had shipped from House of 'Za, now renamed Gulino's Pizza.
Update: Since recording this episode, House of Za has ceased shipping, at least for now, and made plans to open a new brick-and-mortar location, named Gulino's Pizza! Keep an eye on their Instagram for details, as they gear up to reopen.
House of Za/Gulino's Pizza review
You may remember my lamenting that I couldn't find an American Flatbread Pizza with corn on it. That's because this does not exist.
Cadry recalled that, so when she saw that House of Za was offering a pizza with corn, she immediately sent me the link. And late that night, I placed an order.
House of Za used to be a brick and mortar restaurant in Chicago. They've closed their physical location and now ship frozen pizzas and other vegan deliciousness all over the country!
Update: they are working on a new physical location in Chicago! Their new name is going to be Gulino's Pizza.
I hope that their new location will offer the charcuterie boards that they had when they were shipping, because those looked incredible!
Y'all, this pizza is top. NOTCH. It's Chicago-style pizza, which means a thick crust, deep-dish style. I don't normally love thick crust pizza, but Gulino's Pizza crust is great.
Their house-made cheese is melty and decadent, and the toppings are quality, too.
Cadry has actually ordered from them several times, so she went through her top three:
- Buffalo chicken pizza - topped with red onion and buffalo sauce and ranch for drizzling (above)
- the grinch - pesto instead of marinara with chunky tomatoes on top and house-made marinara
- pepperoni - great on its own or with pineapple and jalapeno added (below)
And here are the pizzas we got, ranked from most to least fave:
- The Day of the Dead - jalapeños, corn (!), and mango. What a dream! This was both Dave's and my favorite.
- meat lovers - pepperoni, sausage, chicken. Their pepperoni was such a delight and the standout of this pie. We both loved this one, as well. Second place from both Striepes!
- four chee - four types of vegan cheese. This one was too cheesy for Dave, but the kid and I loved it. The kid is choosy about vegan cheese, but he loved their house-made cheeses!
- the Popeye - white pizza with spinach and tomato sauce for dipping. This one was rich and delicious. The tomato sauce was a bit salty for my taste, but I still loved this creamy pizza. I even enjoyed the thick crust!
Because she and David have been ordering so many pizzas, she invested in a very cool new pizza cutter. Instead of a roller, it's a...rocker? It cuts pizza so quickly! I want one.
Cadry mentioned that the best plantbased pepperoni that she's ever had came from Miyoko Schinner's cookbook, The Homemade Vegan Pantry. She also recommends the vegan pepperoni from Herbivorous Butcher, if you'd rather not make your own from scratch.
Where to find Cadry
Where to listen
Thank you so much for listening (or reading!). We record these episodes for you, and we'd love to hear from you.
Got a favorite vegan treat that you think we should cover on the podcast? Send your suggestions to [email protected]!
You can find Talkin' Tofu on: