How to make avocado fries in the air fryer. These crispy, rich avocado fries use no added oil at all. They’re kind of like magic!
How to Make Avocado Fries
Not only are Avocado Fries healthy and delicious, they are super simple to make. You only need three ingredients and about 20 minutes to make them in your air fryer.
To make these, you just peel and slice your avocado (safely!), dredge each slice in aquafaba and then panko. Arrange the breaded slices in a single layer in your air fryer basket, and you’re ready to rock.
Wait…what is aquafaba?
Are you new to aquafaba? Don’t worry! It’s just the liquid from canned beans.
To collect your aquafaba, stick a bowl under a colander, open a can of white beans, dump them into the colander, and voila! Your bowl fills up with precious, precious aquafaba.
Back to the Avocado Fries, Though
When you are breading your avocado fries, I recommend having a “wet hand” and a “dry hand”. So, you’ll use one hand to dip the avocado slices in the aquafaba and move it over to the bowl of panko. You’ll use your other hand to coat the slice and move it to the air fryer basket.
This way, you’ll end up with less gummy panko-aquafaba mixture stuck to your fingers.
This is a great recipe for getting acquainted with your air fryer. I feel like mine really shines when I use some kind of breading or coating, and the crunchy panko on these avocado fries fits the bill perfectly. I made these in my GoWISE air fryer, and 10 minutes was perfect.
You want your avocado fries to be lightly browned and crunchy. When you do that shake after five minutes, take a look at the progress. They should be beginning to brown, and when you shake, the panko shouldn’t fall off.
If your breading isn’t solid after five minutes, keep checking once a minute before doing vigorous shaking, like in the video below.
How to Eat Your Avocado Fries
Avocado fries have so many delicious uses!
When I taught this recipe at a cooking workshop, we ate these like finger food, dipped in spicy mayo. Really any creamy dipping sauce would work great for these fries. My Cashew Ranch or Magical Tahini Dressing would both make great dips for these.
Or serve them with both, so everyone can choose their own dip adventures!
Beyond finger food, though, these are a great way to add richness and crunch to tacos, burritos, and even sandwiches or wraps.
I recommend eating these pretty soon after cooking. The breading will lose its crunch if you leave them out. The good news is that you can reheat these in the air fryer at 350F for a few minutes, and they’ll regain their crunch.
I’ve got a video recipe for you above, and you can get the written directions below. Enjoy!
How to Make Avocado Fries in the Air Fryer or the Oven
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Haas avocado - peeled, pitted, and sliced
- aquafaba from 1 15 ounce can white beans or garbanzo beans - I haven’t tried with other bean liquids, but it should work just fine.
- In a shallow bowl, toss together the panko and salt. Pour the aquafaba into another shallow bowl.
- Dredge the avocado slices in the aquafaba and then in the panko, getting a nice, even coating.
- To air fry: Arrange the slices in a single layer in your air fryer basket. The single layer is important. No overlapping, please! Air fry for 10 minutes (Do not preheat.) at 390F, shaking well after 5 minutes.
- To bake: Preheat the oven to 400F. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. No overlapping, please! Bake for 20 minutes, no need to flip.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce!