Tender air fryer vegetables infused with a flavorful marinade are going to be your new favorite side dish. And they are so easy to make!
Why roast vegetables in the air fryer?
The reason that I love roasting vegetables in the air fryer versus the oven is that it's just so darn fast! The air fryer cuts roasting time in half versus a regular oven.
A drastically shortened cooking time means that I can cook up tender, healthy roasted vegetables even on the busiest of weeknights.
The other benefit to using the air fryer is that, unlike the oven, it doesn't heat up the whole house. That makes it perfect for roasting veggies all summer long.
What I love most about cooking in the air fryer, though, is that you don't have to be there during the cooking time. Aside from a quick shake halfway through cooking (yes, you do have to shake), air fryer vegetables are hands-off once you put them into the air fryer.
Wondering what an air fryer is? Got questions about how to use one? Learn all about air fryers here!
In fact, the active cooking time for this recipe is around 10-15 minutes, depending on how long it takes you to prep the veggies.
While these air fryer vegetables have a total cooking time of 45 minutes, only about 10 to 15 of those minutes are active cooking time.
Start by whisking your marinade together, which should take you just a few minutes, since it uses all dried herbs and spices.
Set the marinade aside, and prep your veggies. This should only take 10 minutes, give or take, depending on how fast you are with a knife.
After that, just toss the veggies in the marinade, and let them soak in that FLAVOR for 15 minutes. If you have time to let them soak for 30 minutes, by all means: do it! What's great about the marinating time is that you can be doing other things.
Transfer those marinated veggies to your air fryer basket, and cook for 15 minutes, shaking and drizzling on the remaining marinade halfway through the cooking time. While the veggies air fry, you can also be doing other things.
I love a recipe with lots of passive time like this, because it leaves me free to make the rest of my meal or get the kitchen cleaned up. I love to clean while I cook, so after supper there isn't a mountain of dishes to do.
If you want to mix up the veggies that you're using, you have options! You just need to categorize your veggies into hard and soft.
The veggies in the recipe below are all hard veggies that need the full cooking time. Other hard veggies include:
- summer or winter squash
- sweet potato
- Brussels sprouts
- bell pepper
For any of these, slice or dice into ½" pieces and follow the cooking time listed below.
Softer vegetables don't only need a few minutes to cook through. I like to add these when my hard veggies are looking pretty much done, then cook for three to five minutes at 400° F.
Soft vegetables include:
- Bok Choy
The only vegetable that I do not recommend cooking in the air fryer is spinach. Spinach is just so tender that it burns to a crisp in there.
Want to change up that marinade? Feel free! Instead of Italian seasoning, choose whatever herb or spice blend you like! Herbes de Provence, for example, are a great addition.
The lemon juice brings that crucial acidity to the marinade's flavor. You can use mellow vinegars -- like balsamic or rice vinegar -- instead, if you like.
Tips for making perfect air fryer veggies
When you're cooking vegetables in your air fryer, there are a few things you can do to ensure success.
- dice evenly - Cut each vegetable to a uniform size, so it will cook uniformly.
- shake - Shaking that basket moves things around so everything gets exposed to that hot, circulating air.
- don't overfill - An air fryer works by moving hot air around your food. An overfilled basket hinders that circulation and can give you mixed results.
What to Serve with air fryer vegetables
These make a great veggie side dish! I love them with rice, quinoa, or mashed potatoes and a protein to round things out. For the protein, try:
- Baked BBQ Tofu
- Smoky Pinto Beans
- Crispy Tofu
- Your favorite bean, tofu, tempeh, seitan, or soy curl entree!
Store leftover vegetables in an airtight container. They will keep for three to four days in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze them! To thaw, just pop them into the microwave or back into the air fryer at 350° F until they are heated through.
More veggie sides from the air fryer
Air Fryer Vegetables Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 medium zucchinis - cut into ½" pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ½ of a sweet onion - cut into big chunks
- 4 ounces button mushrooms - halved and stems removed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Transfer the veggies to a large bowl, and toss them with the marinade, coating well. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to your air fryer.
- Air fry at 400° F for 15 minutes. After 8 minutes, pull out the basket, drizzle on the 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or extra marinade if you have any, and give the veggies a good shake before letting them cook for the remaining 7 minutes. If your veggies aren't cooked to your liking, you can keep cooking in 1-2 minute bursts until they're just how you want them.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve.
Frequently asked questions
Air frying vegetables is as healthy as roasting them in the oven.
It takes half the time that it does in the oven, so around 15 to 20 minutes.
There's no need to do that with this recipe, but I get this questions a lot!
If your air fryer has a nonstick basket, do not put aluminum foil into it. It can scratch the coating, which ruins the air fryer. If you need to line your air fryer basket, go for parchment paper instead. Just cut the sheet into quarters and use one of those pieces.
No. Think of the air fryer as a miniature, super fast oven. It's for roasting and crisping, not for steaming.
Tried this recipe? Have a question? Leave a reply!