This recipe is sponsored by EZ Tofu Press. All opinions are 100% my own.
Coconut Curry Soup with Tofu made in the Instant Pot brings the heat and the flavor, and you can adjust the spiciness to suit your taste. It's ready in less time than it takes to wait for a takeout order.
Coconut Curry Soup in the Instant Pot
We made this Coconut Red Curry Soup in the Instant Pot the other night when I was craving a curry, and it was so delicious that I completely scrapped the recipe I was working on for today in favor of this soup. I'm so excited to be sharing this deliciousness with you guys!
This recipe is super hands-off and only takes about 20 minutes to make. It's lovely on a busy evening when you don't feel like cooking. The steps are simple, and there's very little chopping to do.
The baby carrots mean there's no peeling involved, and you can even cheat and used bagged broccoli florets to save more prep time.
Once the tofu browns a little bit, toss in everything but the coconut milk and broccoli, bring to pressure cooker, and kick back. When the pressure drops, add your broccoli for a final one minute at pressure, stir in the coconut milk, and you're ready to eat.
Serve this soup straight up, or stretch it into a four-serving meal over rice or quinoa. It's such a flexible recipe!
About the Oil-Free Variation
I see you, oil-free friends. You can follow the oil-free directions in the recipe notes for an even easier (but just as flavorful) soup with no saute step at all. Just throw that tofu for that first round of pressure cooking, and walk away.
You can also follow the oil-free step if you're just feeling lazy and don't want to stand in front of the Instant Pot while the tofu sautes. In that case, I recommend adding the toasted sesame oil to the pot, because it really does add a lovely flavor to this curry soup recipe. That little teaspoon will really punch things up!
Adjusting the Heat
This recipe, as-is, is medium spicy. If you want your Coconut Curry Soup to be hotter, add sriracha or my Shredded Serrano Hot Sauce, to taste.
Serranos and curry might seem like a weird combo, but this sauce goes really well with the curry and ginger flavors.
If you're looking for a more mild version of this Instant Pot Red Curry Coconut Soup, back off by 1/2 teaspoon or even 3/4 teaspoon of curry powder, and reduce the ginger by 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Add a second broth cube to the mix, so you won't be sacrificing flavor when you dial down the spice.
Whether you go hot, medium, or mild, this soup is a delight!
Coconut Red Curry Soup with Tofu in the Instant Pot
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil - (optional - see notes for oil-free variation)
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and diced into 1" cubes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrot coins - 1/2"-3/4" thick
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Not Chick'n Broth cube - (Or substitute vegetable broth for the water above, and omit this ingredient.)
- 2 cups medium-sized broccoli florets
- 1 15 ounce can coconut milk - (Lite is OK, but I recommend full fat for the creamiest soup.)
- Set your Instant Pot to saute, and heat the sesame oil. Add the tofu and cook, stirring, until the tofu is browned slightly, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the broccoli and coconut milk. Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes with a natural release for 10 minutes. You can release the pressure manually after that.
- Carefully remove the Instant Pot's lid, and add the broccoli to the pot. Bring to high pressure for 0 minutes (yes! See note**!), and do a quick release.
- Add the coconut milk, stir and serve!