This isn't your average vegan egg salad. This tofu egg salad is packed with flavor that will seriously up your packed lunch game!
This is seriously the best vegan egg salad EVER! It uses pressed tofu as the base for a toothsome texture, then layers on nutritional yeast and lots of herbs and spices with a touch of kala namak for an eggy flavor.
If you're not familiar with kala namak, aka black salt, it's a salt that's actually pink in color and has a sulfurous flavor that tastes very eggy. It's a great way to add an eggy flavor to a tofu scramble, vegan quiche, and this tofu egg salad recipe!
Ingredients and substitutions
- pressed tofu - Please don't skip pressing your tofu for this recipe! You need to get the excess water out, or your tofu egg salad will end up watery.
- vegan mayo - This is the base for the vegan egg salad dressing. If you don't want to use vegan mayo, use my garlic cashew cream sauce instead and eliminate the garlic powder from the dried spices in this recipe.
- black salt - Kala namak (aka black salt) gives this salad its eggy flavor. You can find this ingredient in Indian markets or online. If you'd rather not use it, just use sea salt instead.
- turmeric - This bright, yellow spice gives this recipe the yellow color you'd associate with conventional egg salad.
- Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder - Dried herbs and spices boost the flavor.
- nutritional yeast - This adds an umami flavor that makes this tofu salad especially addictive.
- fresh parsley - This adds even more flavor and a freshness that's unbeatable. You can skip this, if you like, but I love how it balances out the flavors here.
- mustard - Use a brown, grainy mustard to add some bite and tang.
- carrots and green onions - Add texture, crunch, and even more flavor!
- sriracha sauce - Brings a little bit of sweet heat. You can skip this or use less or more than I call for, depending on your personal tastes.
How to make vegan egg salad
I can't stress enough that you need to press your tofu for this egg salad recipe. Tofu holds onto a lot of water, even after draining, and if you don't press, your vegan egg salad will be watery.
While the tofu presses, prep all of the other ingredients. Measure your sauces and spices, and chop the veggies. If you're making a tofu egg salad sandwich, you can also get your bread and toppings ready to go.
After the tofu is done pressing, use clean hands to crumble it into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Then, add the remaining salad ingredients to the same bowl. Use a fork to mix and mash until you have a nice, even mixture.
Serve this up as a sandwich or wrap or spoon it over salad greens for a quick, easy, vegan lunch!
- Are you sick of me telling you to press your tofu for this recipe? It's just so important! Press the tofu, so your salad will have maximum flavor and minimum water.
- This makes a great meal prep and doubles like a charm. Fix a big batch of tofu salad on Sunday, and you've got lunches for the week.
Leftovers will keep for four to five days in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Frequently asked questions
Kala namak (aka black salt) has an eggy flavor. It's perfect for vegan egg salad or anywhere you'd like to add the flavor of egg without using chicken eggs.
Yes! Tofu egg salad is naturally gluten-free. It's also nut-free, as long as you use vegan mayo and not the cashew cream option.
If you're not a fan of nutritional yeast, you can omit it.
You can! Instead of vegan mayo, use the same amount of cashew cream sauce.
More vegan lunch inspiration
Tofu Egg Salad Recipe
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce - or your favorite hot sauce, or more or less, to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley - loosely packed
- ¼ cup chopped green onion - green and white parts
- ½ cup minced carrot
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kala namak - aka black salt (Or use sea salt, if you can't find black salt.)
- Press the tofu for at least 10 minutes. Prep all of the other salad ingredients while the tofu presses.
- Crumble the tofu into a medium sized bowl. Add all of the other salad ingredients, mixing and mashing well to combine. Serve in a sandwich, pita, wrap, or over salad greens.