This isn’t your usual tofu egg salad. This flavorful Tofu Egg Salad stuffed into cozy, toasty pita pockets is its own, delicious thing!
Tofu Egg Salad
This tofu “egg” salad is tangy, satisfying, and fresh, and stuffing it in a toasty pita is absolutely perfect. It’s just the right pick-me-up to get you out of your sandwich-making rut. Fix the tofu salad tonight, and you’ll have quick lunches for days!
Y’all, school is IN SESSION. This is not a drill. My son started kindergarten last month! Packing his lunches is nothing new, but something about a Kindergarten Lunch feels special. Like it should be capitalized and stuffed with magic.
And what’s more magical than this Tofu “Egg” Salad?
I mean, unicorns, I guess, but I don’t think unicorns are vegan.
Whether you’re also packing a Kindergarten Lunch or need something for your own lunchbox, this salad is a great make-ahead to keep in the fridge. You can get four sandwiches out of a single batch, and it keeps for around three days in the fridge.
When you’re making your Tofu “Egg” Salad, pressing that tofu is key, and I prefer pressing my tofu with my EZ Tofu Press. It’s fast and it gets SO MUCH WATER OUT.
Getting the water out improves the texture, but it also makes this store so much better. If you’ve ever made tofu salad one day and found it a little bit watery the next, it’s because you didn’t press your tofu enough.
As tofu sits, it will release its excess water into whatever container it’s in, even if you’ve tossed it in dressing. So grab your EZ Tofu Press, and give your tofu a good pressing while you prep the rest of the ingredients for this recipe.
Once the tofu is pressed, crumble it into a bowl with the other salad ingredients, and stir well.
How to Serve Your Tofu Egg Salad
You can dish this up in a pita pocket, as pictured, but that’s not the only way to eat this tofu salad!
For example, my child decided this summer that he no longer likes sandwiches. That can make packing lunches a bit more challenging, but it doesn’t remove Tofu “Egg” Salad from the mix. I just pack it up in a small, airtight container and include pita chips or crackers for dipping.
This salad is also great as part of a larger salad! Scoop it up over your favorite greens and chopped, fresh veggies. If you want to get super decadent, throw some sliced avocado on top.
Magical Tofu Egg Salad
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and crumbled
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha - or your favorite hot sauce, or more or less, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions - chopped, green and white parts
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt - or black salt, if you want an eggier taste
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets - sliced in half, optional - see above for other ideas!
- Combine all of the ingredients, except for the pita, in a medium sized bowl, stirring well to combine.
- Divide the tofu mixture between the pita halves, stuffing it inside gently, so you don’t tear the bread.
- Place your sandwiches into a toaster oven or an oven preheated to 350F for 5-7 minutes, just until the bread starts to brown.