This vegan mini baked potato appetizer is a like two-bite loaded baked potato. And it is so, so easy to make!
I first made this snack way back in 2008 for a potluck. My mini baked potato appetizer was a hit back then, and it's still a hit today!
What I love about this recipe is that it's simple to make but feels so special.
When it comes to making the potato slices, uniformity is key. You want ¼" thick, uniform slices, so they bake up properly.
Too-thick slices aren't the end of the world. They'll just take more time to bake. If you slices aren't tender all the way through when baking time is up, just add a few minutes and check again.
While the potatoes are cooking, just chop and saute some vegan bacon and chop up a few green onions.
When the potatoes are done cooking, it's assembly time. Transfer them to your serving dish in a single layer, and pile on vegan sour cream and a piece of vegan bacon. Then, sprinkle the whole platter with the green onions.
This potato appetizer is as flexible as a baked potato! If bacon and green onion aren't your thing, serve them topped with your favorite toppings, like:
- vegan cheese shreds
- sliced black olives
- chopped avocado
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped onion
I do recommend that you not skip the vegan sour cream. It's sort of the "glue" that holds the other toppings in place. If you prefer, you can use vegan queso, guacamole, or hummus to top this appetizer instead. You just need something to hold onto the other toppings.
How to serve and store
These make a great appetizer or snack! They're a lovely finger food addition to a party spread, too.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in a single layer. Don't stack them, because then you'll end up with a big mess. It will be a delicious mess, but this snack is so much about the looks!
They'll keep for two to three days in the refrigerator.
Vegan mini baked potato appetizer
- 2 russet potatoes - sliced into ¼" rounds
- spray oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 slices vegan bacon - cut into 24 bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup vegan sour cream - store bought or homemade is fine
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and spay a baking sheet with oil.
- Arrange the potato slices on the baking sheet, spray them with oil, and sprinkle on ⅛ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Flip the slices over, and spray and sprinkle the other side.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are browned and crispy. Blot the cooked potatoes with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- While the potatoes cook, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet on medium high, and fry up that vegan bacon until it's nice and browned and crispy. Blot with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Dollop 1 teaspoon of vegan sour cream onto each potato round, and top each round with a piece of bacon. Sprinkle on the green onions, and serve!