Vegan pesto potato salad with rich, dill pesto instead of mayo – a definite crowd-pleaser, whether you’re vegan or not!
I originally made this pesto potato salad for a good friend’s birthday picnic potluck. It was the first real dish I made after having Darrol Henry, so I was extra excited for a chance to get cooking! We had lots of dill left from a soup that my pops made when he visited, along with a few other veggies from the same visit. Sometimes a fridge dump makes the best recipe.
This potluck was baby central, y’all! We know two other couples who had just had babies around the time that we did, and this was the first picnic for all three of us. It was a gorgeous afternoon of good food, good friends, cute babies, and happy dogs. Pretty much exactly what I needed.
I never did get a picture of that pesto potato salad. It turns out that it’s much trickier to manage a camera when you’re toting an infant. If you squint, you can see me with Darrol Henry in the baby carrier in the back of the photo.
At the time I was just excited that I was able to write up the recipe, so I wouldn’t forget how to make this. I got the chance to work on the recipe some more last week, and we had dill pesto potato salad with Christmas supper this year. It was great, and I’m finally able to share some photos and a tweaked version of this recipe with you guys!
Vegan Dill Pesto Potato Salad
- 4 cups diced, cooked potato – use whatever sort is your favorite or what’s in the pantry. If your potatoes have a thin skin, there’s no need to peel. Thicker-skinned potatoes, like russets, do need peeling though.
- 1 cup shredded carrot – pro tip: you can save yourself some time and buy a bag of shredded carrots instead of shredding it yourself!
- 1 celery stalk, minced (optional – Use an extra 1/2 cup shredded carrots, if you skip it.)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (green and white parts)
- 1/4 cup of fresh dill, chopped
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Toss together the veggies and set aside.
- To make the pesto: In your blender or food processor, combine the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Toss the pesto with the veggies, and chill the salad until you’re ready to serve!