A strawberry tahini smoothie that's rich, creamy, sweet, and refreshing with no nuts, milk substitutes, or added sugar.
The other day, a friend at the park asked me a random smoothie question. My kid must have overheard us chatting, because the second we got home that day, he asked if we could make a smoothie together.
It was so much fun to come up with an impromptu recipe with him! This recipe came out so well that I tested and refined it to share here.
Because this was a super spontaneous smoothie-making sesh, I used what we had on hand. This strawberry tahini smoothie stars sweet strawberries and a bit of avocado to up the creaminess and fillingness factors. No banana, no nuts.
You might worry that the tahini would make your smoothie bitter, but don't fret about that at all! The touch of frozen cherries adds the extra bit of sweetness you need to offset any bitterness from the tahini. Just its creamy texture comes through.
Ingredients and substitutions
- strawberries - You can use fresh or frozen.
- frozen cherries - Sweet, frozen cherries complement the strawberry flavor and add a bit more sweetness without needing any banana or added sugar.
- tahini - Make sure to stir the tahini well before measuring!
- avocado - A little bit of avocado makes this smoothie so creamy and satisfying, and you can't taste it at all!
- ice and water - Ice thickens the smoothie and gets it nice and cold while water helps the blender do its thing.
How to make a strawberry tahini smoothie
Combine all of the ingredients in your blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Drink it immediately, while it's still thick and cold.
- Make sure you stir your tahini well before using! Tahini tends to separate, and your smoothie will turn out too thin if you don't stir it together well before measuring.
- If you're using frozen strawberries, you may need to add more water to get the blender moving. Add water by the tablespoon until you reach you get a nice, creamy mixture.
More Strawberry Recipes
Strawberry Tahini Smoothie
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Drink immediately.