This recipe was sponsored by EZ Tofu Press. All opinions are my own.
Tofu Satay cooks up incredibly quickly in the air fryer. It's perfect dipped in my quick-and-easy, blender peanut sauce. Serve it as an appetizer or entree!
When I was a kid, we would go out for Thai food once a week, on average, and I so looked forward to Thai food night!
My family orders big when we eat out, and we'd order mee grob, massaman curry, and at least one order of chicken satay. This Tofu Satay is me trying to veganize that childhood favorite.
Like most of my tofu recipes, pressing before you make your Tofu Satay is super important. In this recipe, pressing does two things:
1. Gets the water out, so the marinade can soak in.
Tofu is very watery, and when you press out the extra water, it gets thirsty, which is ideal for soaking in alllll of the flavor.
2. Makes your tofu more firm.
Yes, the tofu will soak in marinade, but you'd not adding back nearly as much liquid as you press out.
I've measured the water many times, and 10 minutes of pressing in the EZ Tofu Press gets out as much as ½ cup of water. A half hour of marinating doesn't put back that much liquid, so you end up with firmer, more toothsome tofu. Perfect for skewers!
Air Fryer Tofu Satay
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger - no need to peel, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 block tofu - see video, cut into strips
- 1 batch 5-Minute Peanut Butter Sauce - Use the full 6 tablespoons of water that the recipe calls for
- Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, maple syrup, ginger, sriracha, and garlic in your blender or food processor, and puree until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu strips*, and marinate for 15-30 minutes. While the tofu marinates, soak 6 bamboo skewers in enough water to cover.
- When your marinating time is up, use a wire cutter to cut your skewers in half, so you now have 6 half-sized skewers. A full bamboo skewer won't fit into your air fryer basket, but these half-skewers will! Remove any splinters from the cut skewers, then, skewer 1 tofu strip onto each little stick. Make sure you are sticking the UNCUT side through your tofu. You do not need to eat any splinters today!
- Transfer the mini tofu skewers to your air fryer. Cook at 370F for 15 minutes, DO NOT SHAKE. While the tofu cooks, make your 5-Minute Peanut Butter Sauce, if you haven't already.
- When the air fryer beeps, you are ready to eat!
- Pro tip: You can reserve the leftover marinade and use it as salad dressing! It's lovely over a green salad or even as a slaw dressing.
- Satay marinade adapted from Food Network Kitchen.