Vegan sausage rolls in flaky puff pastry are packed with flavor. They are so fun and easy to make using pre-made puff pastry!
Toothsome, homemade tofu sausage is the star of these vegan sausage rolls. They're nut-free and a snap to make!
Start out by pulling the puff pastry dough out of the freezer to thaw and pressing your tofu. Pressing is important, so the tofu gets super duper firm.
I love to press my tofu using my EZ Tofu Press.
The EZ Tofu Press is faster than weighted pressing, and it gets out so much liquid! You can get as much as a half cup of water out by pressing with the EZ Tofu Press. I have measured it!
While the tofu presses, combine all of the sausage seasonings in a large bowl to create the seasoning paste. Crumble the pressed tofu into the bowl, and mix it all up really well.
Then, spread it onto a baking sheet and bake it up until it's nice and browned.
Roll out your thawed puff pastry dough after you make the sausage. Make sure you roll it out well, so it's not too thick.
Now, cut the dough into rectangles about the size of a 3"x5" index card, and form a few tablespoons of the tofu crumbles into a sausage shape near one end of the strip of dough. Roll it up, and brush on a little water to seal, like you'd moisten an envelope to seal it closed.
Use a fork to make vents on top of each roll. That will let out excess steam.
Arrange the vegan sausage rolls seam-side down on a lined baking sheet, and bake until they're golden brown.
Tips for success
Follow these tips to have the best results.
- Press the tofu well. That's going to get it super firm!
- Crumble the tofu thoroughly. You want approximately pea-sized pieces smaller for the best results.
- Don't forget to stir the tofu after 15 minutes of baking, so it cooks evenly and doesn't burn.
- Moisten the puff pastry at the end of the roll to get the best seal. Think about it like sealing an envelope.
- Don't skip cutting the vents in the dough! The sausage will release steam as it cooks, and the vents give that steam somewhere to go.
Choosing vegan puff pastry sheets
Good news! A lot of conventional brands of frozen puff pastry sheets are accidentally vegan. Just check the allergen statement for dairy and egg to make sure that the ones you're selecting are free of animal ingredients.
How to store vegan sausage rolls
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Serve cold or warm them up in a 350° F oven until heated through.
You can also freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Let them thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat in the oven at 350° F until heated through.
Vegan Sausage Rolls Recipe
For the tofu sausage
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper - optional, use less for less heat
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the sausage rolls
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry - gluten-free is ok
Make the tofu sausage
- Start pressing your tofu and pull out your puff pastry to thaw. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- While the tofu presses, combine all of the remaining sausage ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well, until you have a smooth paste.
- Crumble the tofu into pea-sized pieces in the bowl, and use a fork to coat all of the tofu in that flavorful seasoning. It's OK if the tofu breaks down more during coating. In fact, it's ideal! Smaller pieces are better here.
- Spread the tofu mixture onto a lined baking sheet, making sure to really spread it out well, so it will bake evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl to cool, and leave the oven on.
Make the sausage rolls
- Roll out the pastry sheet well, then cut it into 8 rectangles. A pizza cutter works great for this!
- Form ⅛ of the tofu crumbles into a sausage shape and place it on one end of the dough. Then, roll up the dough. When you get to the end, moisten it with a little water, to help it stick. Think of it like how you moisten an envelope to make it stick closed. Use a fork to stab the tops a few times, to let steam vent out during baking.
- Arrange the sausage rolls seam side down on the same baking sheet you used to make the tofu sausage (Use a new liner, if needed). Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
Frequently asked questions
Vegan sausage rolls use plant-based sausage rolled up in vegan puff pastry dough. Don't worry! You don't have to make puff pastry from scratch. Many conventional brands of puff pastry sheets are accidentally vegan.
Yes! Just arrange them on a lined baking sheet and refrigerate for up to a day. When you're ready, pull the pan out, preheat the oven, and bake as directed.
Yes! Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Let them thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat in the oven at 350° F until heated through.